By the thirst of unbearable things,

By despair, the twin-born of devotion,

By the pleasure that winces and stings,

The delight that consumes the desire,

The desire that outruns the delight,

By the cruelty deaf as a fire

And blind as the night…

I had a candle of this back when it was released! :heart: 

Of course, it is long gone, and I don't really remember what it smelled like (although I did create a review). So I cannot compare the candle version to the perfume version. 😅

But the perfume version starts off with a blast of lavender, backed by the cedar and fig. Over time, the fig gains strength, and so does the cedar, so it is mostly about those two notes by the end of the day (the lavender was forced into the background).

I love lavender, but I don't love fig... in fact, the only scents that I love featuring fig notes are A Moment in Time and Dead Leaves, Pink Fig, Vanilla Bean and Brandied Dates (and the fig in the latter is the least figgy fig to ever fig). So I don't love this once the lavender loses out to the other notes. But I'll probably keep my decant and use it as a sleep scent, and hopefully I'll fall asleep before the other notes take over!

Edited by doomsday_disco

The lavender note is the only thing i smell in the vial, but it literally disappears seconds after I apply this! What's left is an unremarkable plantiness and subtle sweetness from an underripe fig and some cedar wood shavings. Low/medium throw and not nearly as titillating as the poem that inspired this fragrance

This scent is so heartbreakingly delicate! The waft is all purple lavender and sweet fig, but leaning in you can also pick up the cedar. A perfect distillation of quiet anguish.