Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A genteel affair that presses against the constraints of common decency:

tumescent black silk, pink sugared patent leather, rich tobacco leaf, sunrise papaya,
and mango cream with crystalline trickles of clean pup sweat.

I am his Highness’ dog at Kew,

Pray tell me sir, whose dog are you?

― Alexander Pope

There it is: the rich, sour tang of papaya. I LOVE IT. And the leather which i was worried would drown it out, complements it SO well. Gradually gets richer and deeper with the addition of tobacco leaf. Give it up to Beth who knows how to make disparate notes matching companions.

Mango and papaya are keeping the strength of leather in check

A cool, almost vegetal note emerges. I swear I'm getting notes of Pirates of the Carribean ride here.

A few hours later, that same Pirates vibe. Almost a fog-like note. I love this.

This is real winner.

I reviewed this in quite a bit of detail on an Instagram Live session, but then... the Live crashed and it wasn't able to be shared. So I'll try to recreate my thoughts here!

Upon first sniffing the bottle, I died a little because there is such wonderful overlap with Nobodies Watching Wrestling -- the black leather & strawberry lip gloss scent which I've been enjoying for many years. However, the difference in complexity is startling, and instantly elevates Fancy Pups to a higher tier of enjoyment. There's a smooth, creamy, oleaginous pinkness that I associate with Millennial Pink, but also these sparkling tropical fruit notes that seem realistically juicy and tart. The leather, which remains present at all times, is sleek and elegant, but there's a distinct sweaty or polluted quality (the tobacco, surely) to it as well. 

On the skin it's a real party. Galen described it as "Vegas-y." It's successfully genderblind IMO, very playful and bratty in its ambiguity, rolling back and forth between sweet and stern, coquettish and brazen, pastel and pitch black. That mango/papaya color palette really defines the scent as much as the sweat-slicked leather does. It stays and stays on me -- if I wear it in the evening, I can still faintly smell it when I wake up.

In short: Fancy Pups is what Fancy Pups NEEDED to be. Bravo!

I added this into my decant order as a last minute decision, thinking it sounded interesting but might not entirely be up my alley. I got my package yesterday and this one was by far my favorite of everything I sampled. I’ve already added it to my cart and am just waiting until I decide on a few weenies before I order a full bottle. 

I mainly get a tropical papaya/mango, but I do pick up a hint of tobacco and leather that fill in the gaps and make a very well rounded scent. I don’t know if it was somehow a trace of Dorian that didn’t wash out of my shirt or if this really does dry down to Dorian, but I slathered again earlier for science and should find out in a few hours if my skin chemistry really does morph this into almost an exact Dorian replica somehow. I will report back with my findings…

**edit**
a few hours later and this definitely dries down to something very Dorian adjacent. I don’t know how, but it’s incredible!

**edit number 2**
the weirdest thing, it’s Dorian on my chest, but nothing like Dorian on my arm. I may need to test more..:

Edited by AbbyNormal

~First impression~
(Worn around the neck during an active morning) 

This started out like a sticky sweet almondy cherry, reminded me alot of Jailbait in the beginning.
Definitely cherry, not papaya or mango. 
Cherry.
And I swear there's a bit of orange peel in there, therefore Jailbait. 
But then, the leather and other masculine notes rose. 
The throw is alright, I always slather alot anyway. 

Drying, it's giving me a Hollywood Babylon vibe, like a younger cousin(not a sibling). 
A little more sophisticated, more male. 
Not as gourmand, not as syrupy. 
But still got that sweet cherry with a bunch of really nice heavy, cuddly base notes. 
There's like a orange peel/almond tartness,  but it does not come from the cherry component, they are separate. 

Two hours after application, its pretty much unchanged. 
A sweet fruity cherry on top of a soft masculine bed. 
Has maybe gotten a little bit warmer, the kind of warmth you get from soft baking spices. 

You notice that there are alot of layers.

This is a complex blend made with perfection. 

Very gender neutral. 
It's both playful, sexy AND sophisticated and elegant.

Brings me joy and a smile in my heart. 
Feels young and confident. 
Despite being a cherry-scent for me, it's not giving me the color "red", it's more like a "warm orange" colored scent. 
Very summery!

I also need to add:
This smells expensive, and modern. 
There's something about the scent profile that I recognise from the style of today's more high-end commercial perfume, like in the $200-500 spectrum.

I'm very, very happy with this one. 

Even if I missed out on the mango/papaya c':