Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Got the Morbs (Soc.,1880). Temporary Melancholia. Abstract noun coined from adjective morbid.

Definition via the 1909 book "Passing English of the Victorian Era"

The very morbiest: ink-black musk, opium tar accord, clove bud, and myrrh.

Edited by Jenjin

I was worried about the opium note, which tends to be very sharp, white, and soapy leaning on my skin.  I was hoping that the other notes would envelop it and make it less screechy, though, and thankfully they do, in the prettiest way possible.  Got The Morbs has an effect like a huge, cold, sparkling, white diamond in a black velvet box, opened to you in a room that's warm with clove spice and sweet incense smoke. 
The dark, velvety musk, sweet and spicy clove, and sweet, incense smoky myrrh over the opium tar meld together into a really gorgeous perfume.  It smells warming and lively to me rather than melancholic or morbid, which I prefer anyhow.

Got the Morbs actually freaked me out in that it smells like something familiar, but in a way that I, as I am here and now, in this lifetime, could never possibly recognize. (I think what I'm saying is that this is some real Audrey Rose shit.) This is the scent of the velvet tremor of dusk, where shadows stretch and shivers take shapes. An invisible but slightly alarming aura that clings to the hems of twilight. Equal parts warning and pronouncement, the slither of something just around the corner that you don’t want to meet, but you’re not going to be able to stop yourself. I know this tells you nothing because it’s such a personal experience, so just imagine dusty clove incense and opium musk and realizing that you're the reincarnated soul of someone whose life met a terrible and tragic end--and it's a fate that you must relive over and over again.

I expected to enjoy London Smoke more of the two recent Haute Macabre scents I grabbed decants of, but actually, I think I may enjoy Got the Morbs more.

This was unexpected, as I generally don't like scents heavy on black musk, and this has it listed as the first note. But during the wet phase of the scent, and for the first few hours of wear, it is mostly about the opium tar and the clove on me. The opium tar is somewhat dryer sheet-adjacent, but also incense-y and sweet. (Sexy dryer sheet???) The clove in this reminds me of the clove in Constellation, but I did not deathmatch the two. Over time, the clove fades, and the musk and myrrh mingle with the opium, and with the myrrh being one of the dominant notes by the end of the day. But it is not a sharp variety and helps to deepen the blend. This never becomes a musk bomb on me, but I do think the musk may be cozying up to the opium tar and myrrh to create the alluring incense I get from this.

I'm going to have to spend more time with my decant to see if I need more of this.

I always jump at an opium tar scent! And with black musk this should have been amazing. The clove ruins this for me. Aside from smoking djarums years ago, I have never really enjoyed clove. I certainly didn't enjoy it in this oil. Myrrh is ok most of the time but felt out of place here. This was a complete miss for me.