Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Our gruesome blend of ghastly greens and blacks, now streaked with blue-white:
frozen and snow-packed vetiver, pine pitch, troll musk, elemi, camphor, black basil, eucalyptus blossom, clove smoke, and scorched cumin.

Edited by Jenjin

Troll is an odd scent on me,  like watered-down basil and wet clove charcoal with cumin. I wanted to like it and it wasn't unpleasant but it just smelled off to me somehow.

In Skogtroll  the "freezing and snow packed" bit along with the camphor, elemi, and eucalyptus add some pleasant bite and some softness too. It's a bit cologne-y. The clove is clearly present. The eucalyptus is also noticeable but doesn't take over.

I'll have to test this again but I think I'll be at least keeping the decant. Probably getting a bottle.

Edited by patina

I've tried Skogtroll three times now... the first time was just a normal test alongside some other scents, yesterday was its full day of wear, and today, I've deathmatched it against Bridge Trolls.

This is an excellent snowy forest scent. Like Bridge Trolls, l don't get any of the scorched cumin from this, for which I am glad. The Troll components that standout are mostly the pine and the clove, with the clove smoke being even more prominent than it is in Bridge Trolls, giving this a more Yule-y vibe. The eucalyptus blossom in this is really tame, lending a bit of a camphorous aspect to the scent that's most noticeable during the wet phase, but it quickly becomes just a light chill in the background like the eucalyptus blossom in Odic Force. The troll musk joins the pine and clove after the scent has been dry for a while, and I think there might be some cedar in it, but there's nothing offensive about this musk. As for the snow note: the first time I tried it, I got more Troll compared to snow. The last two times (one of them, a big slather), I got more snow. I think the snow is coming out more as the scent has had more time to settle, and it smells like a sugared, evergreen-infused sort of snow note a la Snow Bunny, so a sweet snow, but NOT the Snow White snow note. This particular snow note tends to dominate a lot of the scents that it's used in, but for now, the pine and the clove from Troll seem to be holding their own against it. I hope that continues, because the combo is delightful.

Comparing this to Bridge Trolls: the Troll in this is stronger than in Bridge Trolls, due to the prominence of the pine and clove in this. They're definitely present in Bridge Trolls as well, but very softened in that scent due to the Dorian.

I've already used up half of my decant, so I suppose that's a sign that there ought to be a bottle in my future.

Edited by doomsday_disco

I agree that this is an excellent snowy forest scent! The description makes it sound much more sinister & harsh than it is. I love the sweet pine snow note with the clove behind it & don't really notice the eucalyptus or cumin unless I search for them. There was a brief phase with a slightly disquieting salty leather note which I'm assuming is the troll musk but it disappears under the pine. The drydown seems to have a bit of amber in it as well. It won't be for everyone but I'm going to upgrade to a bottle since my husband wants to wear it, too. 

This sounds like a loud mean scent. So I was surprised to find it's balanced and calm. Maybe the snow soothes out the gruesomeness but I do think it's pretending to be scarier than it is. This smells like walking through a quiet forest covered in snow. There is a soft waft of smokiness, like the smell of a distant fire. It smells like a holiday scent without veering into candle territory. Nice!