Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jenjin

Gingerbread London Fog

Steeped a bit too long because I wandered off and forgot about it.

Edited by Jenjin

The ratio of the two components in this perfume is LONDON FOG with the tiniest whiff of gingerbread.

You know that scene in The Grinch where the mouse is about to take the crumb by the fireplace, and The Grinch comes back and scoops it up before the mouse can eat it? That's how fleeting the gingerbread is in this scent.

I tested it after it got to settle for a day, so I'm hoping that I'll get more gingerbread from this in a few weeks. During the wet phase, the bergamot in this scent is so strong that it verges on neroli-like and goes through a medicinal phase on me that is off-putting. Then there's the gingerbread crumb next to the milky Earl Grey latte once the scent is dry, but that hint of gingerbread is barely there and you have to get close to the skin to smell it. I feel like you can smell that this latte is made with a vanilla syrup, and there might be a little honey in this sweetening it up, too?

Although I don't dislike the end result, the wet phase is so harsh on me that I'm setting it aside and hoping that it improves as it has had more time to settle. And maybe the gingerbread will be stronger by then!

Comparing this to Lavender and Earl Grey Cookies, this is much stronger on the Earl Grey, but of course, I think Lavender and Earl Grey Cookies is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gingerbread London Fog because I'm a lavender ho, and that one is more balanced, as there's way more Earl Grey in that one than there is gingerbread in this scent.

Captain’s log, stardate 46254.1 Holodeck recreation “Gingerbread London Fog,” simulation running. A bistro bathed in perpetual twilight, the air thick with the scent of rain and pipe smoke. Ah, but what’s this? A  fiery sweetness pierces the fog, a whisper of cinnamon and cloves, like an exotic spice trader’s cloak brushing past. Intriguing. Adjust the olfactory interface. Notes of Earl Grey tea, vanilla, sugar, and… whiskey? A peculiar concoction, Captain. Indeed, Number One. Yet, it draws me like unexpected intrigue on Riza. The tea, smooth and familiar, mingles with the sharp nip of whiskey, a touch of mystery in a mug. The vanilla, it’s not the cloying syrup of replicated desserts, but a whisper of warmth reminiscent of a home and a kitchen many years ago. And the ginger… ah, the ginger. It’s the heart of the mystery, a fierce, fevered spice that lingers on the tongue like… a detective’s hunch. Curious, Captain. Would you say this fragrance has… narrative potential? Potentially, Number One. Perhaps a femme fatale named “Sugar” in a silk dress the color of midnight, her lips stained with the same spiced sweetness. Or a gruff inspector with a penchant for Earl Grey and secrets, the aroma of tobacco clinging to his trench coat like a second skin. The bistro fades. Brick walls crawl with shadows, gaslights sputter, casting long, incriminating fingers. The scent of gingerbread transforms, no longer a treat but a clue, a trail of crumbs leading to a darkened alleyway and a whispered confession. Intriguing, Captain. Shall we embark on this olfactory investigation? Indeed, Number One. We’ll follow the whispers of ginger, the ghost of whiskey, and see where this trail leads us. Engage.

It may be a short respite, but between exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations, and boldly going where no one has gone before, even a Captain deserves a touch of fantasy and intrigue. And so, we step into the perfumed fog, ready to unravel the mystery that clings to the gingerbread and hangs heavy in the air. The night promises secrets; the scent whispers clues, and the Captain… well, the Captain’s ready for some silly escapades, even if it’s only for a brief, spiced escape from the vast loneliness of space. End log.

"Steeped a bit too long" indeed! This is for the lovers of the Earl Grey in it's most floral facets, not for those in search of a gingerbread forward London Fog experience. Agree with @doomsday_disco in that it does veer into neroli-land, the warm spices in the back waiting for their turn to shine. This tea is bold, a blaring alarm clock of citrus, petals and tannins with a splash of vanilla milk far too shy to stand up to Prince Bergamot. The ginger is pretty subtle, I get a small amount of clove and nutmeg about 40 mins into the dry down. A gingerbread heart two sizes too small for my taste. Throw: medium, longevity 4+ hrs 🫖 

A pretty black tea that isn't bitter, lots of cream, a whiff of lemony bergamot, and surprisingly not much gingerbread or spice.  It's like a cup of lovely tea next to a gingerbread biscuit.  I expected it to be strong on the spices, but I'd say this is the Gingerbread Cotillion that is lightest on any gingerbread notes.  I usually don't like black tea scents because they can be astringent, smoky, or oddly metallic, but this is so mellow and really smells like a cup of earl grey and cream.  My only complaint is that it is rather light on my skin.