Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Jenjin

Carrotberry Pie

A surprisingly delightful blend of blackberries, cranberries, carrots, and pumpkin mash.

Edited by Jenjin

First I get the blackberry, which makes me think of berry Jello. The spices (cinnamon and clove?) are present too and hang around during the drydown. Fruity potpourri...it *is* a festive and fun scent though. Medium to strong throw.

I tried this because I grabbed a set of decants of all of the pies. Unfortunately, I have to say that this was not only my least favorite of the pies, but my least favorite of all of the Yules I've tried thus far (I still have 3 Carved Wooden Village scents to test).

Carrotberry Pie is weird as hell. I like berry candy and carrot accompanied by a waxy crayon. Why is it so waxy!?!?!?! Sadly, this had really great throw on me, so I smelled it, even when I didn't want to... I'd say it is the strongest of the Yule pie scents. While this shares some notes with Plague-o-Ween, I find that one to be much more wearable. The cranberries or carrot in that didn't go waxy on me, and I'm just not jiving with the blackberry in this like the blackberry in this year's suf. There's also no pastry note to make this feel like pie.

I am typically not a big fan of berry scents, but have found a few that I've enjoyed over the past few years, including this year's suf. So maybe someone who usually loves berries will find this way more enjoyable than me, so long as they don't also suffer a waxy fate.

If I had to sum this up, I'd probably say this was spiced cranberry jello. There's more going on than that, however. The cranberry is probably the most distinct note, and it smells like cranberry relish made on the stove from fresh berries. It's got the the characteristic clash between sour, red fruit and bitterness that I associate with cranberry. After the perfume has dried, the blackberry is a background player. It's more like a blackberry jam because it brings syrupy sweetness that balances out the cranberry. The pumpkin mash is basically a vehicle for spice. It's maybe a tiny bit vegetal, but it doesn't stand out as particularly pumpkiny amidst the bouquet of berries. I'm having a hard time picking out the carrot, but maybe it's lost in the pumpkin and spices. Thankfully, this does not go waxy on me, but maybe I'm just fixated on how much I love the blackberry and cranberry together.

Between this and the Blackberry Apple Sufganiyot, I think I love the lab's blackberry note. This is probably going to be an autumn staple for me.