Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Beary Strange

Talk to Me About Milks?

So the upcoming Monster Milk collection has a lot of unfamiliar-to-me milks, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one in that boat. So dear, more experienced BPALers: will you tell me/us about your experience with these milks?

Does the Lab's goat's milk smell sweet as Google suggests it might, or does it smell cheesy as I'm remembering.

What about evaporated milk? I've recently realized I had this one mixed up with condensed milk, or rather, I thought they were the same thing. Looking around, it seems that what I had thought was evaporated milk in Fairy Lobster is probably more likely condensed milk. Does the Lab's evaporated milk have any sweetness to it or is it just like plain milk?

Buttermilk I'm just going to go ahead and guess smells buttery. But I would love to be wrong about that.

Edited by Beary Strange

Milk notes I have found to be mostly differentiated by their richness/butteriness. Cream is richer than milk, etc. I find goat milk to be rather buttery, with a touch of pleasant funk sometimes. I haven't tried anything with an evaporated milk note but I would imagine not too much of a difference from reg milk notes (whereas as condensed milk like you mentioned I assume would be sweetened), though perhaps a touch of that 'cooked'/scorched quality seen in recent scorched milk blends? 

I assume buttermilk would also have a bit of a tanginess to it!

I am not one for milky scents but I do recall thinking goats milk smelled gamey.  It might have been my imagination.  I was decanting at the time and didn't keep any for myself.  I have 9 scents with milk in the ingredients list and don't notice a milky scent to them.  Alice being a particular favorite and GC so fairly easy to find an imp of.

I did love Virgin's Blood with has fresh cream listed as a note-- I did get a creamy feel to it..... like whipped heavy cream which doesn't have a particular taste/scent but enriches.  I will have to pull out the dregs of my bottle to make sure.

I guess I haven't really noticed creams or milks in my scents... they are there and add a richness?  

Except for the goats milk scent.  I remember thinking noooo but it might have been the whole scent and not that one note... I haven't run a decant circle for @ 9 yrs so it was quite a while ago but I do know when I see that as a note I recoil.

keep in mind I am a big floral wearer or when I do foods I do sugar cookie nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon, sugared stuff more than breads, butters, popcorns etc.  I do like my red musk and incense scents as well but some stuff is just too real for me.

grandma owned a goat farm lololol

On 9/1/2023 at 10:51 AM, roseus said:

Milk notes I have found to be mostly differentiated by their richness/butteriness. Cream is richer than milk, etc. I find goat milk to be rather buttery, with a touch of pleasant funk sometimes. I haven't tried anything with an evaporated milk note but I would imagine not too much of a difference from reg milk notes (whereas as condensed milk like you mentioned I assume would be sweetened), though perhaps a touch of that 'cooked'/scorched quality seen in recent scorched milk blends? 

I assume buttermilk would also have a bit of a tanginess to it!

Buttery and funk are both descriptors I keep seeing to describe goat's milk. But I also see people referring to the regular milk note as sour a lot,  whereas I really enjoy the cream and milk notes, so I'm hopeful I can hang with the goat's funkiness. I do notice neither you nor elka referred to it as cheesy, which gives me hope. 🤞

23 hours ago, elka_knits said:

I am not one for milky scents but I do recall thinking goats milk smelled gamey.  It might have been my imagination.  I was decanting at the time and didn't keep any for myself.  I have 9 scents with milk in the ingredients list and don't notice a milky scent to them.  Alice being a particular favorite and GC so fairly easy to find an imp of.

I did love Virgin's Blood with has fresh cream listed as a note-- I did get a creamy feel to it..... like whipped heavy cream which doesn't have a particular taste/scent but enriches.  I will have to pull out the dregs of my bottle to make sure.

I guess I haven't really noticed creams or milks in my scents... they are there and add a richness?  

Except for the goats milk scent.  I remember thinking noooo but it might have been the whole scent and not that one note... I haven't run a decant circle for @ 9 yrs so it was quite a while ago but I do know when I see that as a note I recoil.

keep in mind I am a big floral wearer or when I do foods I do sugar cookie nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon, sugared stuff more than breads, butters, popcorns etc.  I do like my red musk and incense scents as well but some stuff is just too real for me.

grandma owned a goat farm lololol

Oh gosh, gamey. I hope that's not how goat's milk reads to me. 😅

Thank you both for your replies~

Edited by Beary Strange

On 8/31/2023 at 12:14 PM, Beary Strange said:

will you tell me/us about your experience with these milks?

I love lactonic/milk notes in perfume, thought I'd pop in for a milk breakdown because :vamp: MONSTER MILK'S APPROACH:

Evaporated milk: unsweetened, regular cow's milk that's boiled until the water evaporates. The lack of water makes it thicker & creamy, no added sugar or tang. I haven't tried or know of any BPAL with this note. Invisible Man Milk will feature evaporated milk.

Condensed milk: evaporated cow's milk with sugar added, it's very gooey, indulgent and thick. No tang. Super sweet, caramel undertones. Aoede, Melete, Mneme smelled exactly like condensed milk to me. Snake Milk smells like condensed milk +SO to me. Shadwell has condensed milk as a tea sweetener, however the other notes balance the sugar out. Ghost Faced Bat also has condensed milk, but I haven't tried it. Mummy Milk will feature condensed milk

Goat's milk: obviously not a cow milk so it has it's own goaty thing going on, to me it smells like honeyed milk. Not baby milk+honey handsoap, but like a raw honey with a smidge of funk and thick milk but not in a bad way. The Red Ribbon, Black Wooden Goat, Ghost Milk, Impromptu Goat Yoga & Black Goat Enjoying A Pink Flower all have goat's milk. It tends to add richness, doesn't lean sour, isn't as caramel-like as condensed milk. Vampire Milk will feature goat's milk as will Witch Milk with it's honey-infused goat's milk.

Buttermilk: Traditionally, buttermilk was the fermented liquid leftover after churning cream into butter. Creamy milk with a tang due to increased lactic acid. Cultured milk can be made by adding vinegar or lemon juice. Thick, buttery, tangy but not as sour as greek yogurt, makes biscuits and pancakes delicious! White Larry and The Day Burned White feature buttermilk but I have yet to try those. Wolf Milk will feature buttermilk

Rice milk: more watery than cow's milk and goat's milk, sweet and fragrant from the rice, basically horchata without spice. I would rank this "milk" second in terms of sweetness, however the least dense of them all. Boomslang has rice milk that doesn't overpower the other notes, it also adds creamy sweetness to many Shungas, of which I've only tried A Vision Of The Courtesan. Zombie Milk will feature "grave-dry" rice milk. 

hope this helps! 🥛 

@MonBon Thank you for this, I totally forgot about Ghost Faced Bat! That was super creamy and sweet, though I recall having trouble separating the milk note from the creaminess of the coconut.

Sign in to follow this