Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Lycanthrope

Themisto

Orbiting alone: cold black labdanum, olibanum, and eucalyptus bulb drifting on a starry white aldehyde.

The oil smells cool, like a little wisp of the eucalyptus. On the skin, it's a very rich, resinous oil. Quite thick.

Reminds me very much of Oblivion, the chewy, costus/labdanum is strong, and one of my favorite essential oils. There's just a tiny little whisper of cold. I don't detect too much brightness from olibanum.

It's nice, and quite resinous - a little bit like a colder Jacob's Ladder from the Yules, but not nearly as complex. It's a chewy resin that does veer towards cold, but not minty by any means. Once it's drier, the dry aldehydic notes do arise, kind of like an aura of shine.

The opening reminds me of herbal candies, with eucalyptus negating the sweetness - but without becoming too minty. After a while, though, it takes a back seat and sweet resins dominate. Drydown is all aldehyde, neutral and close to skin but no shrinking violet. Moderate wear length.

Dry aldehyde, root beer tinged sweet resins. This one is a little odd. It smells sort of masculine, and like a dark starry night came crashing on your rootbeer float.

So space floats? Literally.

this is a weird one for me. instead of a cohesive perfume, what I get is three separate "scent experiences" that are each nice but don't seem to come together.

one part is deep rich syrupy resins. stunning.

a second part is the eucalyptus bulb. this is the most pungent/therapeutic/medicinal eucalyptus I have ever smelled in a bpal. closer to an essential oil meets vapo medicine. I like it, but it doesn't quite mesh with the resins.

the final part is a flash of something white and bright. close in pitch to the eucalyptus, but separate from it. the aldehyde? this is like a comet, streaking across the sky of the scent but disappearing so quickly. blink and miss it.

themisto has very low throw and fades within an hour. honestly, I think my bottle needs time to settle and brew a little bit more. I like everything about it (except the short wearlength, which I am cockily confident will improve within a few weeks or months).

I had a bit of a seasonal cold recently, and was craving a perfume, but wary that if I put on the wrong one, it would exacerbate my sinus ache and give me either a headache and/or a bad association and force me to break up with whatever scent I chose. remembering the camphoraceous quality of the eucalyptus, I reached for this scent and it was the perfect choice. themisto has a calming energy about it. beautiful and comforting, although intriguingly strange.

The eucalyptus/menthol note in this is strong and medicinal, like huffing VapoRub, and the aldehydes add a bit of dry soapiness. I don't smell any of the resins.