Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Heart and Mind

The flowering of amber blood and bone blooming into the Moon’s shimmering mugwort, creaking oaken boughs streaked with frankincense tar, and a trickle of benzoin to echo the cold silence before the end of time.

I don't know where to begin with this one, but I am really glad I added it to my Lunacy/Luper 2.0 order.

At first, the frankincense is the star, lemony and sort of smoked, but it melds into so much beautiful amber, resinous warmth. Again, evoking warmth, heat, maybe even the liquid heat of the blood imagery from the incredible poem (but not truly what I'd consider a "blood" scent). I haven't smelled Lion, but from Snow Lion I imagine it to have that kind of radiant warmth that brings warm bodies to mind. The lion speaking in this scent's full description is warm, sinewy, radiant today as they muse on growing old.

As it dries and settles, the vanillic benzoin appears with the mugwort. It's a faint herbal thread, not too camphor or astringent; not sure I'm finding the oak yet, but there is a sort of groundedness to it which feels like wood.

Truly beautiful and evocative. Something BPAL is the absolute best at!

Update: With just a bit of time, the mugwort has really blossomed. This one is just perfect.

Edited by elissamay

My review of this is not going to do this justice. But if you're thinking about getting this... get it.

This is, unexpectedly, one of my favorite scents from this year's Lupercalia update. I swooned when I first smelled it in the decant, and it was just as swoon-worthy on my skin. The reason I grabbed a decant of this was because of the mugwort note. I love mugwort. It's very herbal, and I love slathering on scents containing it before bed. While the mugwort is present, it is much tamer than it normally is, and it's accompanied by some really smooth, well-blended resins (with zero sharpness from the oak -- actually, I wasn't able to pick out any oak). But there's a sweetness to this scent that I'm not getting from the listed notes. If it's from the blood or bone, it's the best blood or bone I've ever smelled!? I keep thinking it is nectar or pollen-like, as it has a similar addictive quality to it as Arcana's Unearthly Lovely.

I wish I could describe this one better, but I am so, so happy that I grabbed a decant of this one and will be upgrading to a bottle. Of the Lupercalia scents I've tested thus far, this is definitely one of my favorites. :heart: 

ETA: Retesting this almost a month later, I wanted to add that I am now getting dragon’s blood from this, but I think it is a lighter than it usually is, and honeyed.

Edited by doomsday_disco