Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Seajewel

A Distant Song

This oil was inspired by a poem that reflects an aspect of Venus’ dance with Spica: A Distant Song by John Gould Fletcher. This oil assists in healing emotional wounds caused by fear, pain or resentment. It helps enable people to be more loving and more receptive to love.

Benzoin oil and resin (Styrax tonkinensis, Styrax benzoin), red sandalwood (Pterocarpus soyauxii), cardamom essential oil and green pods (Elettaria cardamomum), cherry fruit compound, fig fruit compound and leaf from the TAL garden, Bulgarian rose absolute (Rosa damascene), honey absolute (Apis mellifera), periwinkle (Vinca minor), white sage from the TAL garden (Salvia apiana) and clary sage essential oil (Salvia sclarea), mugwort essential oil and herb from the TAL garden (Artemisia vulgaris), mandrake root (Mandragora officinarum), red clover blossoms from the TAL garden (Trifolium pratense), mimosa absolute (Acacia dealbata), manuka essential oil (Leptospermum scoparium), angelica essential oil and root (Angelica archangelica), red mandarin essential oil (Citrus reticulata), and patchouli essential oil and leaf (Pogostemon cablin).

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." I used to be obsessed with Moulin Rouge, so this phrase popped into my head right away when reading the description. This oil is my very favorite right now, and I did not know how much I needed to be reminded of this lesson. 

The first word that comes to my mind when smelling this is richness, then warmth. 

The scent notes that I recognize are resins, roses, dark fruits, and honey. The benzoin is so deep and vanillic is seems almost chewy and chocolatey, but of course this is likely due to the cherry, fig and honey alongside it. I have to admit I can't pick out cherry and fig specifically, but these are not fresh fruits: it's as though they have also been reduced to a dark fruit resin themselves, and even the honey is a darker note. The rose wrapped up in the warm embrace of these notes adds yet another layer of depth without its usual floral quality.

Embrace is probably the best overall description of A Distant Song. A warm, rich, resinous embrace.