Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
edickerson88

Looking for very masculine scents

Hoping to get a good list of very masculine scents to try out cause Ive noticed  that people on here will call something masculine or masculine leaning when it's really not very masculine at all ... 

Looking for the  definitively  manly (not just leaning) scents that women would want to smell on a man.. 

Ones I've liked so far are 

baron samedi (my favorite )

Iago *tho the bottle I just got seems less hardcore leather  and more ...umm..soda and chocolate ? (maybe It needs to sit)

Satyr - 

Streets of Detroit...

Thx in advance

Edited by edickerson88
Missed word

So, the issue is, your personal chemistry can bring out certain notes in the perfume, making some fragrances seem more masculine or feminine on you personally, regardless if you're actually a man or woman. Case in point: Le Père Fouettard (Whip leather, coal dust, gaufrette, and black licorice) smells like all kinds of hot man on me because my chemistry brings out the leather and coal dust. When I put it on my husband though, gaufrette is the strongest note; he smells like cookies. Also, as a chick, I LOVE wearing Satyr. Though a lot of people think of it as masculine, it's not on me.  

So you will have to play around somewhat - find out what smells masculine on you. You can look for notes that tend to show up more in men's fragrances - cedar, bay leaf, tomato leaf leather, dark patchouli, khus, vetiver, bay rum, fougere, etc... as a general guide. 

Since you love Baron Samedi, keep an eye out for Bay Rum. (It's woodier smelling and less sweet than plain ol' rum.) And if a bunch of reviewers say things smell masculine, but on you they're girly, take stock of the notes and see if there's a pattern. Something might go especially sweet on your skin. On me, Iago is HARSH militant leather and VERY masculine - this coming from a girl who likes leather and will wear "masculine" scents.

Anywho - general catalog recs for things that smell MANLY to me: Black Rider, Red Rider, White Rider, Jolly Roger, Isaac the Living Skeleton, Marquis de Carabas, Mr. Croup, Mr. Vandemar, Lear, Anthony, Troll, Ligur, Cyborg, Iago, Whiff-Lash (this smells like boy in a bottle to me.) Nyarlathotep, Azathoth, Cthulu, Orc, Dwarf, Sherlock Holmes, John Watson, Dracul, Incubus, Prince Lir, Odin, Yggdrasil, Calico Jack, Dee, Czernobog, Antikytherian Mechanism, Galvonic Goggles, Robotic Scarab, Godfather Death, Hellfire, Black Tower, El Dorado, any of the Four Horsemen.

I'll also rec the Pile of Skulls (Halloweenie) and Psychodynamic Discharge (Yule). 😁

Lastly, there's a men's fragrances thread in the recommendations section you could check out. Hope that narrows it down a little.

Edited by VetchVesper

@edickerson88 Just popping by to say there are bottles of the Old Robber Woman up on Etsy and it might be the kind of thing you're looking for.  https://www.etsy.com/listing/1118270118/the-old-robber-woman-5ml-black-phoenix?ref=shop_home_recs_7&crt=1

More of a soft, brown leather than Iago, but with a really interesting "oil" smell. Always thought it was an interesting scent, but it didn't get much love - probably because not a lot of women would wear it, though they might enjoy smelling it.  More of an intriguing jeans and t-shirt smell than hot stud on a date, IMO.

I second the bit that @VetchVesper mentioned about chemistry.  You really have to try things on yourself to know.  That being said,  I thought I would chime in to say you might like to try Assassin.  It’s my newest obsession in the BPAL catalogue.  It is ironic that you can order this bottle with your choice of label that is either masc, fem, or nonbinary.  It’s very sexy and it smells a lot like a more “traditional” men’s cologne to me than some of the other things in the BPAL catalogue.  Good luck! 

My brother and I both found Leave Her Johnny to be incredibly masculine on both of us so I would recommend that if you like deep, woodsy, coconutty aquatics. He is a fan of Levitating Phallic God, Theodosius the Ledgerdemain, Pyramid of Skulls, Shadow Pictures, and Krampus so those might be worth checking out. I also have a bottle of Vanitas with Playing Cards available for sale if you're interested! Happy scent hunting! 

Krampus, "Snow At Midnight" from 2015 Snow Falling Faintly, Blacklight Reactive Poster, Nevertheless She Persisted, A Demon & Her Unholy Basketball, Blood Popsicle, & Theoi Nomioi are ones that smelled perfect on my brother, & a bit too masculine on my mum & me (save for Blood Popsicle which smells like two different perfumes on me & then him; Unholy Basketball is still great, I tend to layer it with something that softens the brimstone aspect, otherwise, it's a bit too LOUD on me).

Again, everyone's skin chemistry is different & we could be weird (I just learned tonight that most people I know with Womb Furie have a hard time with "all the honey" & I was over here like, "It has honey?" [I tend to forget what's in old ones I don't wear much]), so decant circles are great for learning about a number of scents without breaking the bank for multiple bottles only to learn that you amp something you don't like or that the mix of notes results in a scent memory you are not HERE FOR™.

Good luck! 

As a fella on the hunt for masculine scents myself, I can concur that Pyramid of Skulls (dry sandalwood with tobacco, from last fall's halloween release, still available from the lab) is definitively masculine, probably the most so out of any lab scent I've tried. Otherwise I'm still trying out some of the scents recommended here.