Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
stainedglass_siren

Recommendation for a Masculine Patchouli scent

Looking for a patchouli heavy blend that my dad could wear!

When I first read the notes of Blacklight Reactive Poster, it reminded me so much of my dad in the 70s, not to mention the actual Blacklight posters he had as a teen. Anyway, I’d like to get him a BPAL fragrance for fathers’ day but i’m not sure he’d like to smell of actual weed smoke these days … so i’m looking for something weed-free/wearable, masculine, and most importantly with patchouli. 

Edited by stainedglass_siren

Hi!  I never tried Black Light Reactive Poster, but I do like nag champa and patchouli.  I think these are worth a try: 

Paramatman - Orange blossom, East Indian sandalwood, and champaca 

Urd - Muscadine, black and red patchouli, cereus and nag champa 

Gaueko - Blackened sandalwood and misty lavender, with curling wisps of smoky tobacco, nag champa, and labdanum 

Oblivion - Dark musk, wood spice, labdanum, patchouli, dark African woods, and saffron.  [This one in my opinion is very accessible and might make a great intro scent for someone new to bpal] 

Goblin - Black coconut, gnarly patchouli, and sweet benzoin.  [A lot of people name this as their favorite patchouli scent] 

I really like Snake Oil and also the Snake Pit scents in the Carnaval Diabolique section of the Lab's site.  Snake Oil might possibly have patchouli but there's no official list of notes.  Unfortunately it's out of stock right now but some of the Snake Pit are in stock.  These stand out for me: 

Death Adder - Snake Oil with vetiver, black coconut, vanilla, and opoponax 

Western Diamondback - Snake Oil with leather, tonka bean, red sandalwood, and sage 

Boomslang - Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk 

Temple Viper (out of stock but this one is my favorite so I had to mention it) - Snake Oil with sugar cane, frankincense, champaca, opoponax, labdanum, and hyssop

......these are just my first thoughts but I'm sure there will be more recs!  

Also Sam from American Gods is patchouli, nag champa, and freshly soaped skin.  

I can't wear nag champa so I haven't actually tried it, but the notes you want are there.  But a lot of the reviews say it's more soap than the other notes.  

There was this Dead Leaves from 2016: Dead Leaves, Honeyed Patchouli, and Champaca Blossom 

And from last year's Lupers, To My Dear and Loving Husband, bourbon vanilla, 17-year aged patchouli, champaca blossom, copal, black tea, frankincense, and agarwood.  But Urd is probably the easiest of the lot to get ahold of.  

Sign in to follow this