Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Frankincense, Star Anise & Labdanum

I'm not shocked that there are no reviews yet because I feel like this blend was made specifically for me.  I love anise, the more the better, and combined with fizzy labdanum and high church frankincense, well, fantastic!  There are no surprises here.  Lots of anise, sweetened by the labdanum, made respectable by the frank.  If you hate anise/black licorice notes, you will want to stay away from this.  If you love them, what are you waiting for? 

Star anise, labdanum, and a whiff of resin. Honestly, this is smelling like a spicy root beer. The star anise definitely pulls it toward an Asian vibe. Also, I think I once had a marinade that involved star anise and sarsparilla, and this is what I am thinking of.

This smells medicinal, but in a good way? It's not that it smells like medicine, so much as that it smells fortifying. It sort of puts me in mind of the 13 from September, 2019--again, not for similarity in scents, but for that fortifying quality. Spicy-sweet, with a mineralic hint (I think that's the labdanum?). On me, it did not have a ton of throw.

I thought for sure this would be a slam-dunk for me, but it's not at all. Something's off for my nose in the bottle, wet, and for quite a while on dry down. I'll let it sit and age for a bit, but I'm really wishing I'd used my limited funds on a different Trois instead.