Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Brumation

Winter sluggishness, December’s malaise. A torpor: thick brown labdanum, tobacco absolute, vetiver, black moss, and black patchouli.

Actually, this coded as a clean manly aftershave on me. I got the tobacco, moss, patchouli, and it smells clean, cozy, and very appealing. For those that prefer a non foodie cozy blend. Medium throw and wear length.

Bottle: Exceedingly languid and gritty, getting mostly tobacco and moss.

Wet: Tobacco, vetiver, and moss. Not too much patch, surprisingly.

Dry: Soft, cozy, and earthy. On me the vetiver is adding a pleasant dried grass note.

This seems like it would be perfect for wearing while cuddling up in front of a fireplace--very cozy! I'm pleasantly surprised with how soft it got once it dried.

This was a very popular one at Lunacy. For me, I got a very prominent cola smell, the way labdanum sometimes can when it's not in harmony with other notes. In this case, it stomps out everything but the tobacco to my nose. A very strong, syrupy coke, perhaps being drunk in a cigar lounge? Since I did get a nice sweet tobacco, but it wasn't enough to make me want to smell like I'd spilled my soft drink on myself.

Generally I want to slough off winter's sluggishness, but Brumation is making me embrace it.  It is so firmly in my wheelhouse.  Mmm, syrupy fizzy labdanum.  Yes, with that cola vibe, but add in dark sweet tobacco and vetiver -- the latter being similar to the one in Two Sheep and Two Goats -- and you have something I want to cozy up to on a long winter evening.  The moss adds a cologne-like touch, just a touch -- this is definitely unisex.  If the patchouli emerges with aging, that would be lovely, but it's already pretty great, with good wear length on me.  Magnetite Phoenix, with a lot of the same components, fell flat on me, but Brumation is going on the bottle list.  

I love all the notes in this one except vetiver, which is a wildcard on me. It can be grassy or bbq. Since I blind bought a bottle, I am happy to report it is the former.

Wet: Labdanum, and the moss and vetiver must be blending to create a pine scent. The opening is clean and masculine. 

Drydown: Labdanum wins, and it is effervescent as usual. The black moss is giving it a bit of spice. At this point it's completely gender neutral. Vetiver is there giving it a bit of greenery, but it's not strong. I do get a bit of a foresty impression. It's bright and chilly on my skin. Rather than sluggishness, I get a walk in the woods on a winter's day (no Robert Frost impression intended).

About 20 minutes in labdanum is still the strongest note, but I am getting something that smells like neroli. I would describe this as bracing. Throw is good.

After about 30 minutes of wear tobacco joins in, and I get just a bit of a nutty scent added to the labdanum. It's starting to warm up as whatever was causing that chilly note dissipates. 

Black patchouli usually smells rooty/dirt like on me, but I wonder if it's what is adding a little bit of a woody note. An hour after applying, this is fizzy (non cola) labdanum and light dried grass from the vetiver.

Two hours after applying vetiver is pretty much all I can smell. Where did my labdanum go? Tobacco, moss, patchouli? My least favourite note is the one I am amping.

Sadly, this ends up all vetiver with just a faint idea of tobacco. Hopefully, the other notes come out with aging because I liked the first hour.

3 out of 5 stars.