Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
semuelle77

How do YOU layer with single notes?

I have just gotten my hands on a few single notes (Vanilla Orchid, East African Black Patchouli, and Sumatran Red Patchouli.) I love the idea of using these to boost or transform other blends.

How have you layered with your single notes? Which do you have and what has been a winning combination? Do you have any guidelines, for lack of a better word, for how you decide what to layer?

Thanks!

When I layer with single notes Generally I am trying to enhance something already in the blend (not necessarily a specific note, could just be its fruitiness or something). For example I will use Black Pomegranate SN to Mme Moriarty to enhance the deep red fruitiness or Vanilla Orchid SN to Zorya Polunochnaya to add another layer of ethereal white floral. Another one I like is Snake Oil and Bulgarian Tobacco SN, even though I don't think there is tobacco in SO, it adds to that deep syrupy warm vibe it has. 

Though sometimes I layer to add a whole new element to a scent like Black Pomegranate with Haunted 

I tried Snake Oil with patchouli (both). Since SO is not great on me to begin with, I found that it helped to temper the sweetness a bit. I layered Boomslang with a chocolate absolute that I was given years ago. It really amped up the dark chocolate. It made it absolutely delectable.

Sign in to follow this