Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Irregular and reddish, porous and cold: a rocky red musk, with lumps of frankincense and opoponax, crusted with ice.

Where to begin with this scent?! I find it to absolutely amazing. I have never tried one of the red musks before, but I know that I tend to do well with the musk in Dorian, Venus Cloacina, and Lyonesse, along with frankincense in everything, so I decided it was time to treat myself. So here's my thoughts.

In the bottle: I don't know opoponax by smell so I can't say if it shows it's self anywhere for me, but twist open and take a sniff I really get that crust of ice. It's got the brightness of almost a menthol infused medicine. In the back you can only just smell a faint musk, but it's sweeter than the usually sharp scents I tend to get.

Wet on skin: it's got a lovely red color, and that brightness of the ice is immediately gone, now it's just a cool tinge to the whole smell. It doesn't seem to have much throw and just kind of sits around my wrist. The scent of it though. The frankincense has gotten a little bit stronger, which is to be expected on me, but it still has this slightly sweet but sharp tingly smell to it.

Dry down: Goodness I don't know what my body chemistry does with this particular blend because I have never had another test do this: the first hour it seemed like the scent was going to be nice, but sit close to the skin when suddenly about an hour, hour and a half later I start really throwing it. I tested it twice once pre and post shower, and with different activity levels so I guess it's a grower not a shower. When my Round 2 hit the sweetness has faded and I feel it grows just a touch more sensual.

In all I really like Thebe and I'm glad I went for it, but it feels like it would work best as a winter smell for me. For fun nights out when you want to feel sexy, but not Snake Oil sexy. and now I'm off to review Golden Champa. :D what a great day.

I was gifted with a half-imp of this, and I'm glad, since I otherwise would not have tried it.

It is surprisingly similar to Green Tree Viper, because the "ice" seems to be minty. But it's a bit more antiseptic, significantly earthier and less sweet.

I like it, but I have a bottle of Green Tree Viper, which I prefer. Thebe is more unusual, though.

Average throw and longevity.

Ice, red musk and a swirl of frankincense. This remains somewhat minty even in the drydown. It's a slightly minty red musk with a very resinous base. Medium throw and wear length.

This reminds me of bptp's Muilearteach blend (blood red, bone white, and pitch black musks coated in hoarfrost). Red musk with minty, clean snow note and a thick, dark sweetness from the opoponax. Dark and sweetly musky, but also with a clean, cold edge to it.