Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
elbow

Milk Chocolate, Myrrh, and Gunpowder

This blend is every bit as amazing as I'd hoped! Wet on my skin, I get pure melty milk chocolate -- the good stuff, like you'd find in Switzerland or France. The gunpowder emerges quickly, an exclamation point for the nose, and the myrrh harmonizes gently from the background. Over time, the chocolate and gunpowder sort of settle into the myrrh's warm embrace, but all three remain evident and play brilliantly together. Well done!

I had to try a decant of this because I had to see what these disparate notes smelled like together.

In the imp and wet on my skin, this is sweet, voluptuous milk chocolate, the same as in Bliss. The gunpowder is there underneath, though, gritty and dark and slightly chemical-smelling.

There’s a brief stage when this is somehow tangy. I don’t know whether that’s the gunpowder asserting itself, or the myrrh.

After that, the myrrh dominates for about an hour, tying the other two notes together. Then the chocolate, which had almost disappeared, starts to come forward again.

I don’t think I’ll need a bottle, but this is an unusual and interesting scent.

I've tried to love this scent, but I really hate it. A lot of my most favorite scents are resins + cocoa (Aelian's Phoenix being one of my recent bpal loves in this category), but the gunpowder in this scent is unbearable to me. It smells like ashes from a wood burning furnace, complete with the weird, burning metal and just... no. It is a bad scent from my childhood, when I was in a bad place. It makes my stomach feel like it's twisting up in knots and I want to gag and run away. The chocolate smells stale and the myrrh sickly-sweet and wrong, and I don't think I've ever disliked myrrh before, but there it is. I love the smell of actual gunpowder, oddly, but this is ashes and burnt metal in the worst way.

Strangely enough my favorite of the 2016 Bonbons, despite it not being the most popular as far as reviews go.

I'm glad because I expect there won't be too many other people in the world smelling like this, so it feels like this is my "special scent".

The milk chocolate note is the one I get in Bliss; very melty, fudgy, thick and luscious. The gunpowder and myrrh add a spiky incense-like smokiness with a strange (but somehow pleasant) savory edge to me, like the alkaline bite of sea salt crumbs on a bowl of melted chocolate.

Bliss is something comforting and yummy I wear to bed but find too "overtly foody" to wear out on most days. Milk Chocolate Myrrh and Gunpowder is 80% chocolate charm and 20% smoky strangeness; enough that I don't worry about people wondering if I've split hot cocoa on myself.