Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
joyfulgirl

scents for burning man?

hey peeps! i'm leaving for burning man tomorrow (if you don't know what burning man is, see here). i put dreads in my hair for this event (see my avatar...this year they're white though!) and i generally dress like a crazy person all week - hippie, steampunk, thrift shop chic...in a good, fun kinda way. so i've got my attire handled.

but..what BPAL to wear? last year i wore Eat Me almost exclusively, so i'm honestly a little burnt out on it. i don't know why i wore it so much, i was able to bring almost my whole box of oils (i drove) but this year i'm flying, so i'm limiting myself to 4 bottles.

here's what i have:

a sudden invitation

ambergris

black lace

boomslang

burning book

cleric

coiled serpent

death adder

humpback whale

dolly kei

east african black patchouli

eat me

elf

green tree viper

leather phoenix

luna negra

mme moriarty

masabakes

mb: closet

mourning lace

nocnitsa

the other hot chocolate

pteropus leucopterus

raven moon

snake oil

snow glass apples

snow glass apples v4

snowglobe

TKO

velvet

i think my top 4 candidates for now are snake oil, TKO, elf and dolly kei right now. they kind of cover the whole spectrum of what i *might* want to wear out there, but i'm also debating whether i want to bring something foody like mb: closet, eat me, other hot chocolate, etc. what if i crave something darker, like raven moon? or sexy and sophisticated, like black lace??

any suggestions??

also: anyone else going to burning man? i'll be at 3:15 and H if anyone wants to stop by! :wub2:

Definitely second the Snake Oil and absolutely the TKO (it can be so hard to fall asleep with the constant pounding of bass lines on enormous sound systems). I think, back when I was going to Burning Man, I would have been afraid to take my delicate BPALs, due to the heat. I wouldn't have wanted to take anything irreplaceable. Are you decanting for the trip? In that case, all bets are off and take whatever you want. But I know I would have wanted at least one patchouli blend with me, and something with an incense note.

Have lots of fun!

nope, bringing bottles. last year i brought most of my collection and it weathered the experience fine - i kept everything in a box in my shade structure, which was warm but not *hot* during the day.

yeah, that was my thinking about TKO as well. i love it for falling asleep at home, and even though i'll be out in the suburbs of the city, a little assistance surely won't *hurt*! :) i'm thinking you're right about the patchouli...i love it so much. maybe one of my (several) bottles of black patchouli SN. so that would bump either elf or dolly kei out of my bag. probably dolly kei, since it's heavier and sweeter...elf is nice and light and i can see wanting to wear that for sure. HMMMM, decisions, decisions.

when did you last go? i discovered it in 2003 and wanted to go for 7 years before i finally made it in 2010. this will be my 4th year - i'm ready to get back! :)

Tons of my friends go, although I have never been. I would also suggest Tombstone for the future, since it is not something that you have. I would really think about Luna Negra. There is something about that (being on the darker end - at least for me) scent that speaks to my inner tribal collective. Hmm, I am not sure that my statement makes sense. But open the bottle, huff it a little, and try to see what imagery comes to mind. For my understanding of Burning Man, it is about the experience, the community, the music, and more of an existential/transcendental consciousness.

Have fun!

xanon, luna negra was my holy grail for a long time...i wore it exclusively at a regional burn a few years ago. you're right...it's absolutely luscious and plays in well to the "tribal" vibe of burn events...i totally agree!

and jasmin, YES...raven moon is uhhhh-mazing! i usually wear it in the winter cause it's dark and heavy and fall-feeling to me...but BM is kind of an in-between for summer to fall, so i could see it working!

man...now i'm wondering if i should bring 5 or 6 bottles instead. i decided last night to check my bag...so it's all fair game now! especially since i have backups of LN and RM, i would definitely feel comfortable packing some partials of those. :D cause really, it's all about self-expression...i wouldn't limit myself to 4 outfits, so why limit myself to 4 scents?? :)

buxomm!!! :wub2: witchy witch...love you, chicky! hope you're having a fab summer! :glomp:

back from the desert! :)

i brought snake oil, TKO, elf and east african black patchouli.

i wore elf the first few days, then snake oil, then EABP, then snake oil again the last few days.

i didn't touch the TKO, but i wasn't sad i brought it.

it was an interesting year. it was my first and only sober year out of the four times i've been, so that was...different. it was fun though. i went out and explored the deep playa more than i ever had in the past, so that was great.

anyway, thanks to everyone for the recommendations and well-wishes! :wub2:

Sign in to follow this