Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ajansuz

Miaiphonos candies

To inflame with lust:

MIAIPHONOS
Clove, anise, mandarin, and cumin.

I bought this one with a little more trepidation than the Nymphia. Anise in candy can sometimes really overpower everything else, as can clove, and I hate spice drops gum drops.

Anyway, I decided to have faith in the confectioners, and I'm very glad I did. This is a bold candy. The cumin gives it a real depth and complexity, a small touch of savory and a suggestion of Indian food in something quite sweet. The only flavor I have trouble picking out in this individually is the mandarin. It seems to make an appearance more as a juicy quality than a citrus flavor. The clove is strong enough to numb the tongue very slightly, and the anise keeps it from completely overpowering the entire lozenge. It's not strong enough to taste like straight up licorice. This is how spice drops could taste if they didn't get so heavy handed with the clove.

I do have a complaint about this candy that I didn't have with the other offerings. The plastic wrapper has stuck to every one I've opened in tiny little slivers that you can't really see. It winds up coming off in your mouth, and you have to find it on your tongue and pick it off. The other candies seemed to have a more thorough coating of the tapioca powder to keep this from happening.

I recently had a sore throat. Happily, this candy also worked well to numb it down and cut down on the coughing, allowing me a better night's sleep until it cleared up, better than an actual cough drop because it wasn't harsh. I made sure the cold was cleared up before tasting this with an eye toward a review.

Clove is the first taste to hit the tongue, powerful and dominant, well supported by the cumin and anise. Seriously, it never occurred to me that cumin would be brilliant with clove and anise, but it is. The mandarin orange is pervasive, being second strongest, and is the canvass on which the spices paint and dance. This is delightful, and I say this as someone who doesn’t like orange sweets for the most part. The difference real orange makes vs. artificial flavours is profound. This reminds me of good wassail, spicy, tangy, and sweet all at once.

Rich clove, mandarin with hints of anise and cumin.

Really interesting. The cumin reminds me to Indian food, or Mexican food. Actually, it reminds me more of a Mexican candy with the orange and hints of anise as well.

Bold, nontraditional.