Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Pandakin

Complementing scents for a couple...

Hey all. First time posting in the forum, but I've been a frequenter of BPAL, drooling over so many scents that I just want to delve into. I've bought a few and enjoyed them quite thoroughly. Now, however, is the time for me to purchase once again and this time I can't go all willy-nilly and get all the things I want.

You see, I have a very particular boyfriend.

I had the idea that perhaps we could shop together for a scent for myself and for him... and I would like it if the scents didn't clash when we spend so much time close to each other. The other hoop to jump through is the fact that he doesn't like scents that are spicy or musky, though they are my favorite.

On to the nitty-gritty! Here's some information to consider:

For him - citrus, clean, bright, no leather, spice, or musk. That's the ballpark of scent we're in for selecting something for him to wear.

for me - fruit, warm, lightly spiced, feminine, not a big fan of most floral scents, but I'm not opposed if it's in the background. Now, even though I like the spicy, deep, musky, inscence-like scents, he doesn't. For the longest I was swapping between Blood Kiss and Nephilim. To his nose they are a bit much and he finds them almost irritating. Don't get me wrong. If I could, I would be buying both scents in bulk. I love them, but it's time to move on to something he would appreciate as well. For instance, he got me the whole lotion/bodywash/bodyspray combo at Bath and Body Works a few months back. The fragrance was Bali Mango, warm and fruity and just slightly tangy. He LOVES the way it smells and so do I... but I like wearing oils... The scent stays longer and that 5ml bottle will last me at least a year. (My Nephilim lasted almost two before someone borrowed it and knocked it over. Yes. I was very angry.)

So, that's the information that I have. Again, I'm looking for two scents, one for a man, the other for a woman. Ideally, they would compliment each other. I'm also not opposed to us wearing the same scent, if that's an idea that comes to mind.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm really happy that the forum is here... otherwise, I would just be plain lost.

First off, this is a really cool idea! It's also quite a challenge :)

For a mango scent, I'm thinking Kuang Shi for him, and either Tweedledum or The Dodo (if you don't amp cassia) for you. Or for a fruit and tea pairing, you could do Embalming Fluid or Shanghai for him and The Apothecary for you. Or maybe you could tie things together with grapefruit using Phobos or Baobhan Sith for him and Mania or Chesire Cat for you. Zephyr might be a good one to try too.

For him:

Kuang Shi - Mandarin orange, white musk, mango, and white sandalwood

Embalming Fluid - white musk, green tea, aloe and lemon

Shanghai - green tea touched with lemon verbena and honeysuckle

Phobos - white musk, lemon verbena, white grapefruit and lemongrass

Baobhan Sith - Grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger

For you:

Tweedledum - Green mango, fig, patchouli and green tea

The Dodo - Red musk, lemon peel, sugar cane, cassia, white sandalwood, mango, and agarwood

The Apothecary - Tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig

Mania - Screeching white musk collides with a howl of red musk, with sharp white grapefruit and pale strawberry leaf

Chesire Cat - Grapefruit, red currant, dark musk, Roman chamomile, delphinium, and lavender

Zephyr - Lemon, lemon verbena, neroli, white musk, white florals, white sandalwood, China musk, bergamot and a drop of vanilla

Edited by BoneBone24

I have to ask, what about woodsy scents? Or does that fall into the spicy/musky category?

I'll second Embalming Fluid, Shanghai, The Apothecary, and The Dodo. Kuang Shi and Zephyr could work too, but they have a bit of a musk to them (white musk, but still).

I recommend Amsterdam for something light, crisp and clean, even though it has a bit of a floral component. If he's are feeling adventurous, he could also try Anubis. I find it very light and clean but I'm not sure how the myrrh would work for you.

For you I'm thinking Bastet and Poisoned Apple. Either of you could probably pull off Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat.

For him - citrus, clean, bright, no leather, spice, or musk. That's the ballpark of scent we're in for selecting something for him to wear.

for me - fruit, warm, lightly spiced, feminine, not a big fan of most floral scents, but I'm not opposed if it's in the background. Now, even though I like the spicy, deep, musky, inscence-like scents, he doesn't. For the longest I was swapping between Blood Kiss and Nephilim. To his nose they are a bit much and he finds them almost irritating. Don't get me wrong. If I could, I would be buying both scents in bulk. I love them, but it's time to move on to something he would appreciate as well. For instance, he got me the whole lotion/bodywash/bodyspray combo at Bath and Body Works a few months back. The fragrance was Bali Mango, warm and fruity and just slightly tangy. He LOVES the way it smells and so do I... but I like wearing oils... The scent stays longer and that 5ml bottle will last me at least a year. (My Nephilim lasted almost two before someone borrowed it and knocked it over. Yes. I was very angry.)

For guy scents, my boyfriend loves the spicy leathery musky ones, but he also has a couple that are more on the clean bright citrussy end of the spectrum. I would second the rec for Phobos, and add recs for a couple of the Gaiman scents They have some of my favorite unisex and masculine blends!

Pollution - A toxic chypre: radioactive green musk, davana, and oozing white amber.

Spider - White ginger, artemesia, vetiver, nutmeg, King mandarin, bergamot, and lime.

Tristran - redwood, tonka bean, white sandalwood, lemon peel, patchouli, rosewood, coriander, and crushed mint.

For you:

Katharina - white musk with a trickle of bright, sharp apricot and orange blossom.

Tamora - Amber, heliotrope, golden sandalwood, peach blossom and vanilla bean.

Lady Una - Honey musk, green tea leaf, blackberry leaf, vanilla bean, and fae spices.

Fae - white musk, bergamot, heliotrope, peach and oakmoss.

My boyfriend and I sometimes intentionally wear scents that go together either thematically (Aziraphale on me + Crowley on him) or share notes (Coral Snake on me + Western Diamondback on him), but more often we just wear ones that both of us like. I have a few he's not overly fond of, so I tend to wear them to work or out with my friends instead. Good luck searching!