Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Drae

Help me find BPAL's version of Tibetan Mountain Temple

Hi, I'm DISO of a scent that smells like Pacifica's Tibetan Mountain Temple scent - notes given on frangrantica are: patchouli, orange, vetiver, ginger, violet and incense.

All these notes are common in a lot of BPAL blends and but I haven't been able to find one that has most or all of them. I think the patchouli, orange (or maybe even orange blossom or neroli), ginger and incense are what I'm after the most. The scent is very warm and spicy, slightly woody and sweetened by the orange.

Any comparable GC or Past/Present LE's come to mind?

Edited by Drae

I haven't found one yet. I'll be checking in to see if anyone has any suggestions. I'd really like one too--I love that scent, but the Pacifica perfumes don't last long on (and even their perfumes don't smell as good as the candles in my opinion!)

I don't think the violet shows up much in that blend--I was surprised to read it was even in there! To my nose it also has something slightly woody in it, so that might be a possiblity too.

I'll be checking in to see what people think too!

I'd really like one too--I love that scent, but the Pacifica perfumes don't last long on (and even their perfumes don't smell as good as the candles in my opinion!)

Funny you say that because I actually have the candle of Tibetan Mountain Temple, that is what made me fall in love with it! The scent is definitely woody as well, perhaps some sandalwood.

Never smelled your reference scent, but here are some perfumes that might end up similar -

A Countenance Foreboding Evil - Patchouli, ylang ylang, blood orange, and vetiver.

Vixen - Orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli.

The Season of Ghosts (Yule '09) - Bergamot, frankincense, rose geranium, ginger, lemongrass and blood orange.

Shub-Niggurath - Herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices.

Paratman - Orange blossom, East Indian sandalwood, and champaca.

Ravenous - Red patchouli sweetened by orange blossom.

Pallas Athene might work, it is a recent LE blend and described as Antiqued amber, cumin, saffron, frankincense, Atlas cedar, myrrh, mandarin, Ceylon cinnamon bark, and osmanthus. It's definitely a warm, orange-y incense scent on me. Edited by neptuneanblues

I love that candle scent. The first time that I smelled it, I was so disappointed that there was not a perfume in that scent. I actually thought about just getting a small candle so that I could huff it. :lol: I think that I need to run over to Whole Foods and smell it again so that I can compare it to some of the BPAL scents that were mentioned, since I have a few of them. It is so frustrating to fall in love with a candle scent when there isn't a perfume to match. I've done that with a D&S candle before.

Ooh lots of suggestions, thanks Balame and neptuneanblues! :wub2:

portalkat, I believe Pacifica does make both a solid perfume and spray perfume of all or most of their scents, I just wanted to see if there was BPAL oil equivalent as well

Just so you're not disappointed, I will say that I don't think Vixen, Shub or Ravenous smell ANYTHING like that candle. I love Vixen, but it is all orange blossom, all the time, so it doesn't have the woody, incensy scent of the candle. Shub is just totally different, and Ravenous is closer to Vixen.

I love Vixen, but it is all orange blossom, all the time, so it doesn't have the woody, incensy scent of the candle.

Hmm.. interesting, I actually thought of Vixen immediately when I saw what Drae was looking for! On me, the orange blossom is very much background to the patchouli and ginger so I'd say it's probably still worth a try because I think orange blossom is a fickle beast and it does behave very differently from person to person.

I also thought of Masquerade - patchouli, ambergris, carnation and orange blossom - the carnation isn't floral at all on me, but it has a nice warm pepperiness similar to ginger.

But I've never smelled that candle, so I'm not the best judge! :)

I actually love orange blossom, so it would be worth trying all the same! And yeah I have a feeling I'd have to layer a few bpals to get TMT, oh well.

I'm very familiar with Tibetan Mountain Temple -- it's my favorite Pacifica candle, too! In the BPAL lineup, there are plenty of scents with incense and woodsy notes, but in my opinion, the one that comes closest to Mountain Temple is the Salon blend, And There Was a Great Cry in Egypt. It's smooth, woodsy and calming.

This is kind of a long shot, but what about Piper at the Gates of Dawn (terebinth pine, patchouli, brown musk, linden blossom, honey, mallow, blood orange, heliotrope, and golden amber)? It's a woodsy-spicy orange patchouli scent on my skin...

Tibetan Mountain Temple is one of my favorite scents :wub2: and Exotic Bazaar (in the BPTP atmosphere line) smells EXACTLY like it! It's not perfume but it is pretty much the same scent (just less artificial).

Maybe you could find a BPAL perfume with a similar note listing as Exotic Bazaar :)

"Nepalese amber, white sandalwood, black peppercorn, ambrette seed, neroli, coconut sugar, cardamom pods, ginger, fennel, bitter almond, liquorice root, henna, copaiba balsam, and spikenard."

Edited by Monster

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, I have a lot of testing to do!

Exotic Bazaar sounds like something I need in my life!

Ignis (from the BPTP massage oils line)

ylang ylang, patchouli, sandalwood, myrrh, palmarosa, and King mandarin

I've only ever used it as a massage oil, but to me and the boy is smells like a lightly spiced woody orange. I know other forum members sometimes use the massage and bath oils as normal perfume oils, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work as one.

The Caterpillar is a great incense/wood/citrus blend. The florals are fairly well behaved and might mimic the violet without being obviously floral. The notes are: Heavy incense notes waft lazily through a mix of carnation, jasmine, bergamot, and neroli over a lush bed of dark mosses, iris blossom, deep patchouli and indolent vetiver.

I love Tibetan Mountain Temple and have been looking for a replacement as soon as I discovered it had been discontinued. BPAL has a newer perfume blend called Balancing the Sake Cup from the Shunga 2021 collection that is very close. It smells a little more like incense and less like orange spice but otherwise very similar. I hate that it’s a limited edition fragrance. I would buy this forever.

Edited by Sideygirl