Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Gingerbird

Unfruity frangipani Scents

Hi everyone! I've only just recently gotten my first order and I've fallen completely in love so of course I had to enable everyone around me as well and the first request is in. So.

Could anybody rec me a scent with frangipani or gardenia but no fruit? It's for my mama and all fruit goes completely wonky on her. ...Oh and she completely despises rose.

Thankyou! :smile:

If you feel like tracking down some limited edition scents from the forum swaps/sales, I'd definitely recommend these two for non-fruity gardenias:

*The Harp of Cnoc Ichosgair: "Gilded amber, tiare, golden sandalwood, vanilla, cardamom, and tagetes."

*Tissue: "Rice paper, white gardenia, and raw honey."

In the GC, there's a lack of gardenia, but you might want to check out:

*Eternal (Ars Moriendi): "Stephanotis, cyclamen, heliotrope, white rose and gardenia." Lists rose, but a lot of people have better luck with the white rose note, and I don't find this to be overly rosey, but heavy on the creamy floral notes. Euphrosene (Excolo) is similar to me, but more rosey.

*The Lady of Shalott (Ars Amatoria): "The scent of calm waters just before a raging storm, limned with achingly-beautiful blooms, an icy scent, but somehow warm, and mirror-bright: bold gardenia, crystalline musk, muguet, water blossoms, clear, slightly tart aquatic notes and a crush of white ginger."

*Le Serpent Qui Danse (Ars Amatoria): "Violet entwined with vanilla and gardenia." Though this is mostly sweet violet and vanilla on me with a hint of creamy gardenia.

And you might try these (that don't list gardenia, but smell like gardenia on me):

*Sacred Whore of Babylon (Excolo): "An ancient formula that inspires unrepentant decadence, lechery and debauch." Smells like honeyed almonds, spices, and gardenia on my skin.

*Thy Godfather's Present (Marchen): "A bruised purple bundle of herbs with hyssop and life-everlasting."

I hope that you can find something that your mum loves ^_^

Edited by Little Bird

If you feel like tracking down some limited edition scents from the forum swaps/sales, I'd definitely recommend these two for non-fruity gardenias:

*The Harp of Cnoc Ichosgair: "Gilded amber, tiare, golden sandalwood, vanilla, cardamom, and tagetes."

*Tissue: "Rice paper, white gardenia, and raw honey."

In the GC, there's a lack of gardenia, but you might want to check out:

*Eternal (Ars Moriendi): "Stephanotis, cyclamen, heliotrope, white rose and gardenia." Lists rose, but a lot of people have better luck with the white rose note, and I don't find this to be overly rosey, but heavy on the creamy floral notes. Euphrosene (Excolo) is similar to me, but more rosey.

*The Lady of Shalott (Ars Amatoria): "The scent of calm waters just before a raging storm, limned with achingly-beautiful blooms, an icy scent, but somehow warm, and mirror-bright: bold gardenia, crystalline musk, muguet, water blossoms, clear, slightly tart aquatic notes and a crush of white ginger."

*Le Serpent Qui Danse (Ars Amatoria): "Violet entwined with vanilla and gardenia." Though this is mostly sweet violet and vanilla on me with a hint of creamy gardenia.

And you might try these (that don't list gardenia, but smell like gardenia on me):

*Sacred Whore of Babylon (Excolo): "An ancient formula that inspires unrepentant decadence, lechery and debauch." Smells like honeyed almonds, spices, and gardenia on my skin.

*Thy Godfather's Present (Marchen): "A bruised purple bundle of herbs with hyssop and life-everlasting."

I hope that you can find something that your mum loves ^_^

Ooh, I was already contemplating Sacred whore of Babylon so that's definitely being added to the next order!

Both the Limited Editions sound gorgeous as well. Looks like I'm headed to the sales forum. Thankyou!

Edited by Gingerbird

There are not many frangipani BPALs, but since Little Bird has you covered on gardenia, I pulled out my spreadsheet to find what I could!

The new Touched Twice has rose, alas, but so many other notes that I wonder if it'd be worth a try? "vanilla musk with frangipani, red sandalwood, frankincense, champaca flower, coconut, rose absolute, white cyclamen, Himalayan mogra, angelica, and white oud." You just never know what's going to get amped with that many notes!

If you can find the LE Sportive Sun, it might be good: "Heliotrope, amber, almond flower, frangipani, cedar, and calamus."

The LE White Phoenix has both frangipani and magnolia, so that sounds great for you! "Frangipani, magnolia, cotton flower, osmanthus, crystal musk, ambrette, white orchid, sugar cane, davana, white sandalwood, petitgrain, lavender, and lotus root."

The main General Catalogue scent with frangipani is Delight: "Frangipani, rose, tuberose, and jasmine." It didn't smell like rose at all on me, FWIW.

I agree that Sacred Ho' sounds good for you! :smilenod:

The one that comes to mind for me is Joyful Moon, from last summer - not a bit of fruit and a lovely crystalline, white floral feel to it. The notes are white musk, French vanilla, ambrette seed, frangipani, angelica root, white rose, orris, and honeysuckle. I remember it being very sought-after right as the reviews started pouring in, but it might be easier to acquire now. All the suggestions so far are really good, though.

Sign in to follow this