Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In the corner of a desolate, dismal schoolhouse, all lonely stone walls, beeswax, and dusty wooden writing desks, stirs the scent of gold coins hidden in forest outside Baghdad, waves crashing against the hull of a Salé pirate ship, the lofty halls of Pépin le Bossu’s court, and a wild child’s home in the woods.

The School - I didn't care for this when I first tried it when it first came out. It was too cologney. But now... well, aging has been very, very good to it. It's woody and full of sweet, smooth beeswax, has a murky, salt-water feel about it, and I could swear that's golden amber in it (or not. Ha!) No matter what, it's really awesome, and waaaay better than I would have ever expected it would turn out after aging.

It was such a sweet aromatic sort of wood when it first went on, but it got a lot saltier as it dried. Quite literally in olfactory terms, as I haven't got the imagination or know-how to wax too lyrical :P I'm not sure I smell beeswax at all, or dust, but generally speaking it definitely gives me the impression of old and well-worn wooden things.

Edited by Eschezhivet

Wow, no one has reviewed The School for a while!  I have a tester and was hoping for woods, beeswax and salt.  Maybe the dusty beeswax of Quintessence of Dust with some forest and pirate notes and golden amber.  What I got was surprisingly reminiscent of blackcurrant.  It's one of those scents with a lot going on in which aging has mellowed any sharp corners and blended the whole into something in which the parts are unrecognizable.  So the beeswax is sweeter than I would have expected, and the woods are subtle, and on my skin everything resolves into fruitiness.  I wish I could have smelled this one fresh because I think it would have been really evocative.  

I didn't know this scent was a thing, but I got to try this thanks to a tester from Lucchesa. :heart: 

The School starts off as dust, salty wood, and some stone on me. After a while, I get some sweet beeswax and some fruitiness that I thought could be due to red musk, but maybe there's just an unlisted berry note at play here. It kind of makes me think of a less sweet, less beeswax-y, dustier version of Two Westerners, but with that unexpected fruity note, which ends up dominating on me.

This is not something I need to hunt down more of, but it was fun to get to try it. :)