Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
pywacket

suggestions for a girl's writing class

I'm student teaching a girl's writing class for 12 weeks and I want to give them something when I go. They are all really wonderful 8th graders and I was thinking of giving them each an imp (and bringing ice cream the last day I teach for all 6 of my classes, but t I want to do something a little different/extra for these girls.

So what are suggestions anyone has--light, girlish, non threatening? I live in the bible belt (still adjusting after many years in SF!) and I don't want to freak out any parents. I'm just running ideas around.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw your post was Maiden. A gentle vision of purity, goodness and virtue: white tea, carnation and Damask Rose. It doesn't work on my skin because of the rose but it might be light enough for your class. And I think the name is pretty non-threatening.

My suggestions are:

Jester: Bright berries and entirely inoffesive

Antique Lace: Smells like sitting on a pile of laundry eating a big tub of vanilla ice cream; there's a reason it's so popular

Tweedledee: Sweet and orangey fruit punch

My absolute favourite at the moment is Victoria which is very girly and sweet - but not available in imps unfortunately.

Squirting Cucumber and Kumiho are also excellent but I'd probably avoid them because their names can sound a bit... suggestive.

Illyria might be a good section to look in.

Cordelia -- The essence of faith, love and devotion: lilac, lemon, green tea, wisteria, osmanthus, white cedar, and Chinese musk.

Desdemona -- Innocent, soft and pure: sweet pea, carnation and water lily.

Helena -- Rose amber, calla lily, night-blooming jasmine, water lily, and white rose.

Rosalind -- Dew-covered berries and fresh green grasses with a faint breath of spring flowers.

Viola -- Gentle tea rose, lilac, Calla Lily, and Somalian Rose layered over golden Peruvian amber, Spanish moss, red sandalwood, rosewood, and myrrh, with the lightest touch of Mandarin.

I've tried Desdemona and Rosalind and they struck me as eally pretty, innocuous sort of light floral. Rosalind was particularly pretty, like a bouquet of fresh flowers.

My first though was Alice - and it has the literary connection too!

Or The Mouse's Long and Sad Tale - very sweet and childlike.

I have not smelt How Doth...Croc yet but that could be an option too?

Several of the Mad Tea Party scents might be suitable, I think. Alice, especially, would be a good choice. Mouse's long and sad tale, the dormouse, the unicorn, high-strung daisies could all work. Aeval, Dana O'Shee, and Fae are gentle faery-inspired scents that seem relatively non-threatening. Most of the ladies of Illyria would be good choices - Tamora And Regan are favorites here. My little 14 year old step-sister loves Dragon's Milk, so you might even give that a try.

the unicorn? it's such a pure light scent. fae and aglaea are nice light choices as well.

I think any literary scent that's young-girl friendly would be good, especially the Mad Tea Party scents.

Before you give out the imps, though, there are a couple of things you should consider. If you haven't done so already, I'd check with the school to see what their policy is on handing out gifts. I know that some schools forbid any gift, even if everyone gets one. That may not be the case with where you're working but I've had friends who got in trouble over something like this. Also, there are issues of allergies and having cosmetics at school. Some schools prohibit perfume because of the possibility of triggering a life-threatening allergy/asthma attack.

You mentioned wanting to be careful that you don't offend the parents. Even though the name of the scent might be benign, on the back of the imp label is "Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab" and that might set off some warning bells with the bible-belty parents. So just keep that in mind.

I think any literary scent that's young-girl friendly would be good, especially the Mad Tea Party scents.

Before you give out the imps, though, there are a couple of things you should consider. If you haven't done so already, I'd check with the school to see what their policy is on handing out gifts. I know that some schools forbid any gift, even if everyone gets one. That may not be the case with where you're working but I've had friends who got in trouble over something like this. Also, there are issues of allergies and having cosmetics at school. Some schools prohibit perfume because of the possibility of triggering a life-threatening allergy/asthma attack.

You mentioned wanting to be careful that you don't offend the parents. Even though the name of the scent might be benign, on the back of the imp label is "Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab" and that might set off some warning bells with the bible-belty parents. So just keep that in mind.

good point, I'll double check with my mentor teacher.

any literary scent that's young-girl friendly would be good, especially the Mad Tea Party scents.

Second on the literary scents, such as Illyria or Mad Tea Party. Those are pretty bulletproof.

While most people would be ok with faery associations (ex. Fae) or dragons or Gods, you can never tell....I grew up in a city where the school district got in trouble for allowing us to read classic science fiction stories and native American folk tales. The kids of the outraged parents told me it was 'witchcraft' and 'devil worship.' Seriously bizarre, it was like being in the Twilight Zone.....Hopefully, a generation of Harry Potter has inured them somewhat, but better safe than sorry.

ETA. This little tale takes place in 1991. So, its been a while.

Edited by doodlehum

I second all the above suggestions and would like to add in some of the Marchen things -- fairy tales, after all! Particularly Rapunzel and the Miller's Daughter.

(Heh, I wonder what it says about me that most of my favorite BPAL scents are being recommended to 14-year-olds...)

I agree with everyone on Illyria and Mad Tea Party scents ('Tis the Voice of the Lobster is my favorite from MTP, and strikes me as a young girl type of scent). I'm hesitant to go into the goddesses, because some parents are weird, but Persephone, Thalia, and Utrennyaya are also lovely and light. Prunella is also nice.

I agree the Mad Tea Party scents sound like a great option, also Morocco and Antique Lace are quite lovely and the names aren't suggestive.

Sign in to follow this