Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Elilara

Gore-Shock

Pulpy, scorched, pork-like flesh, glistening entrails, and doughy skin with the coppery tang of blood, salty, sweaty musk, filth, and a huff of rusted machinery.

I get Big Mac with extra mayonnaise when I smell this out of the bottle. I've yet to brave a skin test, but the day will eventually come. For now, it stays with my other bottles and, every now and then, makes an appearance at family functions :)

I bought a bottle of this off a fellow forumite because I have been mad with curiosity for Gore-Shock ever since I heard about it. I mean, come on, "Pulpy, scorched, pork-like flesh"? I had to.

So I've got a dab of it on my wrist and I can see where all three general sets of reviewers are coming from.

1) Yes, there is a note that is meat-impressionistic. To me that note smells like the afterscent from gamey meat in a butcher's rather than the plain raw meat you get in a supermarket under plastic; there's a fattiness to the note that is very loin-of-lamb-esque.

2) Yes, there is a lot of salt. It is salty, and not an aquatic salt at all, a musk-salt, like salt on flesh. The salt combined with the impressionistic meat can give one hell of a a ham mirage.

3) Yes, it is gorgeous. There's a ton of smoke in here, and the metallic undertone compliments both the blood and the salt. If I focus on the ham mirage I could end up nauseating myself with the fat in the same way that eating drippings out of the pan is a bad idea. If I focus on the salt, I get machinery and smoke and I end up loving it.

Fortunately for me the saltiness, which is just a little bit sweet, seems to be dominating more over time. I can reach the fatty-meat note if I want to, but it's very much an accompaniment to the salt rather than fighting it as it did in the early stages and once it reaches the point where they're blended together it is no longer nauseating no matter how much I reach and really quite lovely -- they mute each other a little and let the smokiness and machinery shine. The machinery cuts the fattiness and the smokiness cuts the salt and it becomes a belligerent, salty musk with a hard tang to it, almost like the taste of pistachio shells. (I can't be the only person who gets impatient and tries to crack them with their teeth, can I?) It's dirty, yes, but that makes it work. This is one of those scents that really rewards patience.

Striking, unusual, over the top -- rather lovely, and utterly brilliant. Hats off to Beth.

So I got this as an empty with an order I made from the forum. There was just enough for a few skin tests.

In the bottle I smell a fast food restaurant. Like the smell you get when you’re standing at the counter ready to order.

On my skin I got more of the same only after a bit I got a sickly sweet smell paired with what smelled like wet pennies. Also I kept

picking up the smell of Neem oil. I’m talking about the real straight kind not the unscented kind. Neem smells disgusting, like rotten

meat, onions and garlic that has been rotting together for many months in an old trash can sitting in the sun. And I swear every once

and a while I am getting whiffs of Neem in this blend.

No, not for me and I knew it wouldn't be. However, this does invoke gore for sure.

Edited by Erinofhere

Smoky, salty, nutty patchouli, hint of sweet BBQ?

I was expecting something overpoweringly revolting, but it's pretty mild. Keep in mind, this perfume was originally released in 2009. I suspect the mild character is due to aging.

As it sits on my skin I get a touch of what is vaguely meat. It gets a little buttery.

Yeah, now it's fatty and vaguely metallic. I can sort of see how it attempts to smell like burnt flesh, but I think the shock part has aged out of this imp.