Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cinnamonster

Advice on Gaiman scents please

Thanks for the great reply (and your superior editing skills!) The same ick note from White Rabbit is in Dormouse so I think it is the tea! I like Antique Lace which has linen so I am inclined not to think it is that.

The aquatics I think possibly comes form the papyrus, it's mentioned a bit in reviews. I still would like to smell it!

Hmm, could be! And the Dormouse has multiple teas, so it could just be one or two of them that's going icky. There are very few blends with straight, true black tea, and to my nose, the tea in Famine and Eros is really different from the tea party blends -- so who knows, maybe you'll have better luck. It's always worth testing something to see how it goes. :) Honey never worked for me, and then last year, all of a sudden, I started having good luck with it.

Maybe the aloe smells a little aquatic too, since it's a watery green sort of note.

Thanks for the great reply (and your superior editing skills!) The same ick note from White Rabbit is in Dormouse so I think it is the tea! I like Antique Lace which has linen so I am inclined not to think it is that.

Hmm, this comment makes me want to try Antique Lace to see if it's the linen or some "tea" scent that I can't stand. In the name of SCIENCE! ;)

Hmm, this comment makes me want to try Antique Lace to see if it's the linen or some "tea" scent that I can't stand. In the name of SCIENCE! ;)

In the name of SCIENCE! you should also try Wensleydale. It's just soap and cotton fabric, so it might answer your "do I hate linen?" query in a hurry. :D (Dirty is probably a better choice, but Wensleydale is on Gaiman theme, so I have to suggest that one. ;))

In the name of SCIENCE! you should also try Wensleydale. It's just soap and cotton fabric, so it might answer your "do I hate linen?" query in a hurry. :D (Dirty is probably a better choice, but Wensleydale is on Gaiman theme, so I have to suggest that one. ;))

I've tried Dirty and found it inoffensive but totally not me, because of that squeaky-clean-laundry scent. I've steered clear of Wensleydale because I hate soap, too. :) (After looking at Dormouse's notes, there's no linen or cloth / laundry listed, so maybe it *was* the tea, weird, weird, weird. I have no idea.)

Antique Lace to me smells gorgeous and nothing nothing nothing like Dormouse or White Rabbit, or Sea Foams Milk, because they all smell similar to me! Give it a go!

I see some in your future ^_^

Edited by cinnamonmel

I know this is someone elses thread, but I'm planing to order a Gaiman scent, and don't seem to decide myself...

I want something good for summer, maybe tangy and fresh, slightly sweet ...

I've been thinking about Lady Una or Tristan, Mr.Ibis sounds nice too...

Can someone recomend me something...

Thanks.

I know this is someone elses thread, but I'm planing to order a Gaiman scent, and don't seem to decide myself...

Thanks.

No problem hijacking someone's thread. :) One big Gaiman thread could be useful.

Do you have any notes you love or hate? There are a lot of scents that are good for summer.

I think Fairy Market would be a great choice! It's sugared incense, some flowers, and a little grass. So it's a little sweet, the flowers make it light and fresh, and the grass adds a little bit of tangy greenery. Perfect for hot weather.

I like Lady Una for summer, but it is very sweet, so sometimes it's a little too sticky in hot weather.

Tristan is fresh, cool, outdoorsy, so it's good for summer. But it is masculine (if you care).

Fairy Wine is also nice for a sweet scent. It's sweet but fruity and a little tangy, and I think it's refreshing.

I'm also really fond of Pepper in summer. It's rich flowers, honeyed vanilla, with a little pine and pepper. It's rich and a little sweet, with a little bit of tang.

Do you like floral, garden blends? Jasmine Cottage is very pretty for something with sweet flowers and greenery. It's light and fresh.

I haven't tried Mr. Ibis but it sounds summer appropriate. :)

Thanks.

No problem hijacking someone's thread. :) One big Gaiman thread could be useful.

Do you have any notes you love or hate? There are a lot of scents that are good for summer.

I think Fairy Market would be a great choice! It's sugared incense, some flowers, and a little grass. So it's a little sweet, the flowers make it light and fresh, and the grass adds a little bit of tangy greenery. Perfect for hot weather.

I like Lady Una for summer, but it is very sweet, so sometimes it's a little too sticky in hot weather.

Tristan is fresh, cool, outdoorsy, so it's good for summer. But it is masculine (if you care).

Fairy Wine is also nice for a sweet scent. It's sweet but fruity and a little tangy, and I think it's refreshing.

I'm also really fond of Pepper in summer. It's rich flowers, honeyed vanilla, with a little pine and pepper. It's rich and a little sweet, with a little bit of tang.

Do you like floral, garden blends? Jasmine Cottage is very pretty for something with sweet flowers and greenery. It's light and fresh.

I haven't tried Mr. Ibis but it sounds summer appropriate. :)

Thanks, this makes me feel more confortable... I was afraid to hijack the thread, and be unpolite.

I like rose scents, sandalwood, berries, wine, honey, citruses, grass, moss, dust, cedarwood...

I hate, caramel, vanilla (sweet vanilla, anyhow), patchuli, vetiver, lavander, almond, sweet stuff, foodie scents rarely please me...

I think Tristan could be perfect for me, dispite the vanilla... and I like masculine scents... they make me stand straighter)

Jasmine cottage has jasmine, I'm not a big fan of it...

Thanks.

Heh, join in! I don't OWN it :lol:

Tristran is lovely but I think it's a boy scent.

I love Wensleydale most of the year. It's good for summer 'cause when you feel sweaty and icky, it smells fresh and clean. :)

Sadly, most of the Gaimans haven't agreed with me. Lady Una was nice if you like honey, and I remember Fairy Market being sorta nice... either of those might work as well.

Ooh and I forgot about the East for a summer scent. The herbs and flowers have a cool, breezy quality but the red currant adds slight sweetness and anchors the scent. I think it's really lovely and refreshing.

I love Wensleydale most of the year. It's good for summer 'cause when you feel sweaty and icky, it smells fresh and clean. :)

Sadly, most of the Gaimans haven't agreed with me. Lady Una was nice if you like honey, and I remember Fairy Market being sorta nice... either of those might work as well.

Is Wensleydale anything like Cthulhu?

I haven't tried Cthuluhu (or I have and I've forgotten it) ... but Wensleydale smells like laundry to me, clean cotton.

Edited by Ravenclaw79

the gaiman blends perpetually break my heart. none of them smell right on me. I kept buying Stardust ones, and having to sell them. Even Fairy Wine, which smells the best on me, isn't bottle worthy, really. I think THINK that I like Jasmine Cottage but I haven't worn my imp in a while. I have been hesitant to try any of the Graveyard Books because of the general blahness (on me) of the other scents. They all either smell too manly on me, or too perfumey....

what are some of your impressions of the GYB scents?

Edited by willowtreeling

I think Miss Lupescu & The Lady On The Grey are lovely. I'll confess, though, a fondness for scents that others think are 'too perfumey', such as 'Death & Life Completed' for example.

Miss Lupescu was a spicy soft faintest-tinge-of-cinnamon on me.

The Lady On The Grey started off herbal/cologne-y almost tinge-of-citrus on me, and then did this major morph to a soft ambery close-to-the-skin scent.

Neither is really floral.

the gaiman blends perpetually break my heart. none of them smell right on me. I kept buying Stardust ones, and having to sell them. Even Fairy Wine, which smells the best on me, isn't bottle worthy, really. I think THINK that I like Jasmine Cottage but I haven't worn my imp in a while. I have been hesitant to try any of the Graveyard Books because of the general blahness (on me) of the other scents. They all either smell too manly on me, or too perfumey....

what are some of your impressions of the GYB scents?

Just resurrecting this thread - I have now tried Lady on The Grey which sadly turned into straight up Polo for men on me. Why?? It was super-strong too.

I still haven't ordered Shadwell! How's anyone else doing on the anti-aquatics front?

Slightly off topic but I tried Prunella and that had a hint of the White Rabbit about it, I'm thinking it must be something to do with the cream note?

I tried Shadwell finally (thanks sqwook), but for the overwhelming horror I have of mildew, I would've liked it.

And, technically off-topic but also now part of this topic (see above), I have tried Antique Lace (thanks saracakes!) and while I don't like it, it didn't make me run screaming, so still inconclusive on if linen is my note-of-doom or not. :) And this is why I am a try-it-a-holic.

My own Gaimans update: I *love* Lady Una, & it's on my bottle list (which, if you know me, is a Big Deal).

(And cinnamonmel, yes, I'd say, you should definitely avoid overwhelming horror in your perfume oils. *lol*)

:lol:

So what's Lady Una like?

Weird you should post about trying Antique Lace finally as this very thing was on my mind just before! Shame you don't like it though.

Lady Una, on me, is a sweet honey (not like other BPAL honeys i've tried) with a tinge of blackberry. A pale musk grounds it, and some leafy-ness. My notes say: "Like sweet soft skin, sexy. The honey-musk is lovely. Starts out with a hint of green. Hours later, there's almost a slight berry, also. From time to time, there's a tinge of bitter leafiness, especially in comparison to sweeter scents, so don't try it in conjunction with anything else. On its own, I really like this."

Lady Una is primarily honey on me, whereas Bewitched (as I recall) was primarily berries (with a zing of bright sage that faded away pretty quickly). Lady Una is richer / rounder / deeper. But not heavy. It also seems to morph less - I liked the brightness of wet Bewitched, but it faded to a simple sweetness over time on me as it dried. They share berries, and a slight green leafy nature-ness.

No, Bewitched and Lady Una aren't much alike. Bewitched was very light and herbal on me. Very dusky feeling and subtle, with some berry for contrast. Lady Una is MAGICAL! Effervescent, sweet honey with vanilla and subtle blackberry.

I may search for a Lady Una decant to compare - honey seems to be behaving a little more these days after the BO in the dry down phase - yuk :lol:

No, Bewitched and Lady Una aren't much alike. Bewitched was very light and herbal on me. Very dusky feeling and subtle, with some berry for contrast. Lady Una is MAGICAL! Effervescent, sweet honey with vanilla and subtle blackberry.

I couldn't have put it better!

Also I'd like to add that the honey in Lady Una isn't a beeswaxy honey. It's just rich, golden and sweet. Wax-free!