Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The dark, of night. Teak, frankincense, caramel, oakmoss, red currant, labdanum absolute, bitter clove, patchouli, star anise, tobacco, and black musk.

Drat! I've worn this before and thought I really liked it. I haven't had problems with any of the notes listed except possibly black musk. But I'm wearing this today and all I can smell is a vague powdery sour patchouli. I know it's the black musk that's turning powdery because it does do that sometimes, but generally I like black musk more often than not.

This scent is barely there which is really odd, given the notes. On paper it seems like it would be really strong, but like I said it's just a faint wisp of a scent. Olfactory blind spot?? I may hold onto the decant because I remember liking this before, and maybe I'm just having an off day with it. Edited by Forspecial Plate

At one point I put this on my LOVE list and I have a bottle of it. Today I'm randomly retesting and while I can see why I bought this - all the notes work well for me - when it's actually on my skin I can hardly smell anything. What I do get seems to be a sort of teak with lemons. I wish I could detect the things that everyone else seems to pick up on.

Wow, no one has reviewed this for a LONG time.  I have a bottle of Melainis, bought second hand.  It is very smooth, lovely dark resins and musks, a hint of fruit and caramel and clove, though I couldn't make out the anise which was specifically what drew me to this scent.  Teak always goes in a caramel direction on me, so I expected that to meld with the caramel note, but everything has aged together into a whole that expresses dark, sweet longing rather than the individual notes.  It wears close to the skin on me, no throw (not unusual for my chemistry).