Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
stillalive

Are oils toxic if ingested?

I know all oils have the disclaimer not to eat them, but yeah... my little brother keeps licking the tester stick and his arms whenever I let him put gluttony on himself, and while I watch him to make sure he doesn't drink the imp, he's conspiring to buy a 5mL! Apparently it tastes as good as it smells?

So I was just wanting to make sure that if he licks a lot of it off he'll be okay... >_< Does anyone know if it's made with mostly foodish things or if there's something really not-good-to-ingest in it?

The sad part is he's 16 and should know better. :P And I searched but couldn't find anything for the topic, but the search engine here is really confusing to me.

Thanks!

NONE of the oils are made to be consumed. None of them are poisonous, so far as I know, but there's a lot of room for internal unpleasantness before you get to actual poison. He may not have had any ill effects so far, but the official word of the people who make it that it's not for eating really should be enough. Assuming that that only applies to SOME oils, unless you're a scholar of chemical aromatics yourself, is a dangerous path to start down. I ask honestly: do you have enough information to second-guess skilled professionals in the field?

If he licks it when you let him put it on, stop letting him put it on. If he's trying to get a bottle so he can drink it, you probably ought to let your parents know that your brother is about to do something potentially toxic and definitely not-smart. Under no circumstances should you assume that him eating perfume oil is anything but a bad idea.

Edited by Uploaded Lobster

I couldn't say how unhealthy it actually is, but I'm sure no-one here will tell you he should go ahead and risk it. :P Knowing teenage boys...are you sure he's not just pretending he likes the taste just to annoy you, worry you, or gross you out? I haven't tasted Gluttony but I have tasted other BPAL by mistake and it doesn't taste good; it tastes soapy and bitter and it stings your lips.

I assume you've already told him it's not meant for food, so if that hasn't worked I would just tell him to grow up and buy some caramels instead (safer and cheaper). It might be a good idea to notify your parents too. No one here knows the actual ingredients, but I can tell you that Gluttony is not made of actual food, it's a blend of concentrated plant oils that probably have varying levels of toxicity. Not something you'd want to eat in any case.

Call the poison control center. Ask them. Put him on the phone and have them explain it again. Sixteen-year-old boys--the only thing potentially stupider is 16-year-old girls.

Of course, if it's only going to make him feel terrible and not actually kill him... you could always let him buy a larger bottle and drink it so he'll learn the hard way.

I read him the replies to this and he laughed sheepishly and admitted that he only had a "slight sip of it, just enough to taste it." and wanted to know if there had indeed been any cases of small children drinking it. >_< Boys. The suggestion of getting some caramels is a good one; I think I'll pick up some snickers next time I'm at the store, lol.

Just wanted to add a quote from the Lab's website to this thread:

Our products are not for animal consumption (that includes humans) and are not for internal use. Please use common sense when using our perfume oils.

:P

Call the poison control center. Ask them. Put him on the phone and have them explain it again. Sixteen-year-old boys--the only thing potentially stupider is 16-year-old girls.

Try 14 year-old girls, as girls usually mature faster than boys. Usually :P.

Wasn't it Colere who used to accidentally spill BPAL in her coffee sometimes? It didn't seem to hurt her, but it can't be good for you. I'm thinking your brother's joking though.

I couldn't say how unhealthy it actually is, but I'm sure no-one here will tell you he should go ahead and risk it. :P Knowing teenage boys...are you sure he's not just pretending he likes the taste just to annoy you, worry you, or gross you out? I haven't tasted Gluttony but I have tasted other BPAL by mistake and it doesn't taste good; it tastes soapy and bitter and it stings your lips.

I assume you've already told him it's not meant for food, so if that hasn't worked I would just tell him to grow up and buy some caramels instead (safer and cheaper). It might be a good idea to notify your parents too. No one here knows the actual ingredients, but I can tell you that Gluttony is not made of actual food, it's a blend of concentrated plant oils that probably have varying levels of toxicity. Not something you'd want to eat in any case.

I've accidentally tasted them too, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to repeat the experience. : /

I'm an accidental taster as well. Sometimes I have a little bit of oil on the ends of my fingers (from opening imps) and I don't realize it, and then I pick up something with my hands and eat it. Fritos with BPAL oil on do not taste good. :P Bleah.

Wasn't it Colere who used to accidentally spill BPAL in her coffee sometimes? It didn't seem to hurt her, but it can't be good for you. I'm thinking your brother's joking though.

LOL, yes indeed. I love her; she cracks me up.

Systemaurorora, the only thing I can think of to get your brother to stop licking Gluttony is to get him a gift set of flavoured hazelnut and caramel syrup, of the type you're actually meant to put in coffee.

I've had accidental tastings too. not only are they unpleasant to the tongue, but some of them burn.