Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Akurarei

Winter Maiden Bath Oil

Snow-laden woods, iced blackberry and bergamot, white rose, and crystallized amber.

My favorite of all the Yule bath oils.

A sweet icy blackberry with trace amounts of florals. I use it as a moisturizer. The throw lasts until I bathe again the next day and scents everything I'm wearing with the smell of Winter Maiden. wub2.gif

Used as a moisturizer this is way too storng & perfumey for me. I amp sandalwood (but thankfully this is not the headache-inducing kind) so much that it's almost all I can smell, with a faint background of rose. Used in the shower it's much more friendly, the sandalwood backs down a bit and I can smell the blackberry. It's a warm, comforing scent.

While the scent doesn't make me crazy my dry, sensitive skin seems to love the oil in itself.

If this isn't one of the most beautiful things I've ever smelled...I wish it was a perfume oil as well. And room spray. And soap. Am I missing anything? It's not a "cold" scent at all but rather a veil of sweet warmth like the woolen shawl I imagine a "winter maiden" wrapping around herself. The rose is not sharp and dry at all but soft, and melds eatuifully with the other notes, and the amber grounds it with a warm sweetness. After taking a bath with this last night I didn't want to get out!

Initially this is a little cloying and very floral, not just rose to my nose but general floral. Honestly I was definitely a little frightened at first.

However, my fears were unfounded. This is definitely still a rose scent, but it's a beautiful rose, softened and sweetened by the amber. I can pick up the woods in the background, but I feel like they are there to ground the scent.

This is a little chilly feeling, but not super cold, definitely less cold feeling than ice princess. The bergamot mingles with the rose making this feel very refined and almost haughty. It's a regal scent. It is like nothing I already own, but I seriously love it! I can see this getting a lot of use during the spring time.

I use this as a post bath/shower moisturizer like all of my bath oils. This soaks in quickly and leaves a scent for at least a day. They save my dry, scaley, winter skin.

Note that I use the bath oils as body lotions.

In the decant: So well-blended that not one note dominates.

Wet: Bergamot and something sweet, w/ a hint of the rose.

The dry-down: The snowy woods and the blackberry emerge. Elegant and fit for a winter maiden. :)

I'm still using up my bottle of Winter Maiden from last year's Yule update, and happily so. Yesterday was really warm (in the 90s) and the apartment is still a bit stuffy, so I wanted something cooling today as an after-bath moisturizer. Winter Maiden was the perfect choice...those snow-laden woods are subtle, but they're really effective at conveying still, quiet snow and it feels like the temperature of my skin drops in response. The blackberry and bergamot are ice-rimmed and lovely, as is the chilly white rose. The amber at the bottom gives a bit of warmth that provides some nice tension and real staying power on my skin. This is definitely an Ice Queen scent.