Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
inurbanus

Demeter's Funeral Home

I love the blend of flowers in Demeter's Funeral Home spray. Unfortunately, it doesn't last very long, so I've decided to hunt for something with more lasting power. Here is the description off the website:

Funeral Home is a blend of classic white flowers: lilies, carnations, gladiolus, chrysanthemums with stems and leaves, with a hint of mahogany and oriental carpet. This scent actually started out to be Flower Show. Now our founding perfumer personally did NOT like most white flowers so this was a tough fragrance for him to develop, so he consulted on it with partner, Christopher Gable. When he first smelled this one, Christopher Gable exclaimed “It smells like my Grandfather’s funeral… Let’s call it Funeral Home!” So we did.

I've read through the descriptions in the Ars Moriendi section. These are the ones that seem like they could work:

Epitaph

Eternal

The Ghost

House of Night

Midnight

The Phantom Wooer

Can anyone confirm/deny these or suggest other oils to try?

Would you describe Funeral Home as light or heady? Is it green from the stems? Musty from the "oriental carpet"? It sounds interesting.

House of Night has quite a bit of evergreen in it, so it probably won't compare.

I think, personally, your best bet would be Midnight. It is chock full of white flowers, and other flowers for that matter, and is a very heady, classic floral.

Would you describe Funeral Home as light or heady? Is it green from the stems? Musty from the "oriental carpet"? It sounds interesting.

House of Night has quite a bit of evergreen in it, so it probably won't compare.

It's really strong, like a room crowded with bouquets. The floral is thick and very fresh, like it's been misted with water. The flowers in Languor are the same "type" as the ones in Funeral Home, even if they don't smell the same, if that makes any sense. I can't really smell the carpet or mahogany -- my nose only picks up the flowers.

Thanks for warning me about House of Night -- evergreen and I don't get along very well.

I do know what you mean about Languor, I think. There's a current thread about florist's shop scents that might be just what you're looking for, especially since you said "misted". People have suggested lots of variations on a room full of flowers.

Of your list, I've only tried House of Night (too evergreeny) and Eternal, which had too much gardenia for me but might be what you're looking for. No dampness, though.

I'd look through all the collections if I were you, not just Ars Moriendi, if you haven't already. Also, I find that "stems and leaves" and similar things (ivy, green grass) can make a real difference in the freshness of a floral. You might want to search the Lab site for "stems", "ivy", etc. and see what floral oils you get.

Let us know if you find something. Most of your list is on my wishlist, and I'd love to hear other suggestions!

Closest topic I could find that dealt with funeral scents.

As most of you know, I have a funeral to attend. I would like to wear something quiet, somber, and respectful...but something I will be able to smell and wear again. Most light scents...go poof on my skin. So far...Orpheus is a winner b/c of the honeysuckle note that makes it floral but not too overpowering and keeps things subtle. However, I am open to new suggestions and hope that you all can provide some help.

Thanks! :wave: