Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
fireflower

Commercial scents?

So I just got my first ever order of imps, which included 51, Bewitched, The Hanging Gardens, Lolita, La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente, Hemlock, and Persephone. I've decided I really like 51 and Bewitched is growing on me. Lots of people have pointed out in the Reviews that 51 is a very commercial scent, comparing it to Clinique Happy. I've never smelled Clinique Happy, but I personally feel like 51 is a lot like Body By Victoria. I like that it's very well-blended. I can't pick out any individual notes, really - it's just a fresh, clean, fruity-floral to me. Bewitched is very berryish and light. So, as you can see... I like light, clean scents. The Hanging Gardens and La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente smelled like how my house smells at Christmas. =\ Kind of like potpourri or room spray. I don't know if that's just me or my body chemistry, but it wasn't to my liking. Persephone was okay at first but after a while it smelled like dying roses and decaying pomegranates. :P Lolita smelled like the orange cleaning sheets I use to clean my bath tub. Sort of pungent. But it smelled better when I mixed a little vanilla with it! Sort of tempered it a bit.

So to tie all of this together, I was just wondering what other perfumes have a more "commercial" smell? Something someone who is easing into BPAL from commercial scents might like? I like fruity florals. I've said this before somewhere, but the true smell of oranges is my favorite scent ever. Not orange cleaner or citronella or anything pungent or sour or artificial like that, but an orange that's just been sliced. I also like white and pink florals, lavender, vanilla, pomegranate, lychee, freesia. Perfumes I use/fragrances I like are as follows:

Body Shop:

Satsuma

Zestini

Rougeberry

Mari Mari

L'Occitane:

Ruban D'Orange

B&BW:

Lavender Vanilla Aromatherapy

Mango Mandarin

Plumeria

Lush:

Romance In A Stone

Schnuggle

Victoria's Secret:

Body By Victoria

Pink Beach Limited Edition

Mood - Sweet Craving

Euphoria - Calvin Klein

Miss Dior Cherie - Dior

Cool Water - Davidoff

Phew - I know that was long. But any suggestions are very much appreciated!

One to try might be Xiuhtecuhtli in the Excolo section. It's got the orange note you're looking for and some have compared it to commercial perfume. On me it's a tropical, rather light but complex scent although to some it's reminiscent of Angel. Some of the other notes are lush florals and greenery, if I'm remembering correctly.

(First off, I love the kitties in your avatar :D )

And... this isn't BPAL... but if you love the smell of fresh, true orange, have you tried Masaki Matsushima's "Mat; Orange" fragrance? It's really the most perfect, true, freshly cut orange scent I've ever found. I love it.

For perfumey BPAL... you might want to try Faiza, Black Mamba in the LE Carnaval section. It had a classic perfume smell to me, and it also has orange pulp, vanilla, blackberry and florals in it that you might enjoy.

Tweedledee is one of my favorite fruity-floral scents from BPAL. The orange blossom & citrus in that one really shines. I actually found Tweedledum to be a more perfumey citrus too, so you might want to try that one as well.

Also, I'd have to recommend checking out some of the blends in "The Salon." Almost all of those have have a commercial perfume feel for me. :P

Good luck!

I would second the Xiuhtecuhtli recommendation - it has a very bright orange note, with lovely tropcial base.

I would also highly recommend Manhattan. It's so well blended that I can't pick out individual notes, but there is a citrus / floral feel to it.

I love Euphoria too, and you might be interested in Belle Epoque, Baobahn Sith, Phantom Queen and/or Zorya. They all have very different notes, but they all have a similar feel to me. Or I can never decide which ones I like to pimp out most! :P

For clean florals, I suggest Euterpe (you'd have to like white musk), Delight, and maybe Zorya (it has spices but my body chemistry never picks it up). For fruits, I'd suggest Yemaya -- it smells like melons.

Sign in to follow this