Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jj_j

Sassafras

My mother's from a very rural, very poor part of Eastern Oklahoma - she didn't have running water in the house until she was fifteen, if that tells you anything. She had lots of love growing up, but not much of what you and I might consider everyday fare, and I got to sample some of that lifestyle as a child, because we visited regularly.

Beth's sassafrass note is the real thing. It smells exactly like the homemade root beer and candy I turned my nose up at as a kid, and my mother confirmed this, pulling back from this smell in what was close to revulsion. It's not that it smells bad, mind you - it is, in fact, a lighter, more astringent version of root beer as we think of it - but it's definitely representative of a life she's basically left behind.

It's real, though, and it's a lot of fun. I got just a bit on my hand when she jerked back, and the next time I walked through the living room, my father started sniffing and looking perplexed. He headed to the pantry and started digging through soda bottles to see if any were root beer, which he "just got a hankering for, for no good reason." :P

birch beer! or rootbeer i guess :P it's so neat, it's an almost foody non-sweet scent, something people who like resinous scents and peppermint type scents might like.

Single Note: Sassafras – Mmmm… this smells like sweet root beer. I love root beer! Oh wait… it’s more like one of the those root beer Bottle Cap candies! I love this sassafras single note! I wish Beth would use this more in various blends … but without the notes I don't like since so far, I don't like any of the sassafras blends she's made. I don't know if I could wear this single note solely on its own because it really does smell pretty much exactly like root beer Bottle Caps, and I don't really feel that's something I want to smell like. But then again, I might, because it’s that good. This is by far the yummiest single note I've encountered.

In the imp, Sassafras single note is like dry root beer bottle cap candies and perhaps a slightly wooden note. On my skin, it's much the same, though it takes on a fizzy, effervescent sort of quality. Sweet root beer candies with a bit of a sharp woody or peppery undertone.

This is an interesting SN, and it makes me appreciate the Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener blend even more. SSS really makes the most of the sassafras and smooths it out, sort of completing it. The single note might be a bit too sharp and simple for me on its own.

This is a swampy bay root and smells like a dirty dray root beer candy. Medium throw and wear length.