Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jj_j

Rosewood

I understand that Brazilian rosewood, which is almost extinct, really smelled just like fresh roses when it was cut. This is more like the Indian rosewood that I've been able to smell - roses, but more resinous and woody.

Rich, with a definite grain, plus sap - melded with a very true (but more muted than in some of the blends) full-blown rose.

Edited by Shollin

A lovely surprise imp from Minilux, who must know my penchant for roses.

Rosewood smells the way I *wished* Seance would smell on me--Seance went weird and dusty, but Rosewood is Beth's gorgeous wistful rose with a soft resin topnote. I love it on me, but it would also be a fabulous room scent for when I want the house to smell like a fancy Victorian parlor. I really hate that it's discontinued now.

:P

Rosewood

Begins very rosy but dries down into a sort of spicy, wood-rose scent. I love this.

125840889.jpg

BPAL blends which include Rosewood as one of it's ingredients: Dee, Séance, Medicine Show, Fenris Wolf, Himerus, Old Scratch,

Despair, Viola, Ave Maria Gratia Plena , Golden Priapus, Libertine

Kostnice.

In the bottle

As Aidenraine would say, this is a "Rosy McRosyington" smelling single note. :P

I don't typically work with rose skin wise.

Now I know the smell in "Kostnice" is not necessarily rose (well maybe there's some in there I can't remember) but this is what the smell in Kostnice, it's Rosewood, and it's in a couple of other BPAL rose blends too.

I had no idea up to now that Rosewood would smell like Rose. I thought it would smell more woody or exotic or dark like sandalwood or mahogany, but rosewood smells like rose. Doy.

On

It's nice but it does have more than it's share of old fashioned rose scent within it. I like it, just surprised is all. :D

30 minutes

It's turning soapy just a bit but it's a nice smell, I like it even better now that it's dry.

Throw:

a wee bit

Scent category:

Woody/Floral

Summary

It's a rose smelling scent that turns a bit soapy on me when fully dry. But it is pretty.

Purchase again?

Maybe

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Rosewood - a-HA! Now I know why the Imp of the Perverse smells so rancid on me -- because it's chock full of rosewood, and rosewood apparently smells like ass on my skin. It's all beginning to make sense now. It's also the reason I curl up my nose at Kostnice and Fenris Wolf. No wonder. The single note smells exactly like the name implies - a woody rose, but on my skin, there's also this sharp and putrid after-scent that makes this scent thoroughly unpalatable. It has a moderate level of throw when wet, but sticks pretty close to my skin once it dries. The staying power is about average for a single note.

Rosewood is a note nemesis of mine. This has ruined a few blends for me, because it takes on a very sharp rose fragrance on my skin. In the vial it smells innocent enough, a nicely resinous and polished wood with rose sort of scent. On my skin, it becomes a sharp, stinging rose. I don't get any sort of woods note from it at all. The best way that I could describe the way that rosewood smells on me is that it smells like vomit :P. Sharp, acrid, and nauseatingly strong.

i don't really think the eo of rosewood as rose smelling but more like a musky rose woody smell (okay i suck at descriptions)

the scent that makes me gag is palmarosa (smells like pukey ick blech gag)

Rosewood

In the imp: roses, but woody. This rosewood note smells like roses. It reminds me of Winter of our Discontent.

Wet on skin: roses, but now more of the wood comes out, and a hint of the bitter quality of rosewood e.o. also appears.

Dry: this is a very high quality rosewood oil that Beth uses, most of the rosewood e.o.’s I’ve smelt have a bitter, medicinal scent to them. This has that distinctive scent, but toned down so it’s not as medicinal, but the wood smells like roses as well. This really lives up to its name! It smells like dried roses in a wooden box, with a hint of something almost geranium like to it.

After a while: the scent isn’t as light and soft as the rosewood in Séance, but a little more rosy than expected. It is, however, starting to turn a little sour now, darker and a bit sharper. Kind of like ‘pickled rose petals and wood’, that’s the best way I can describe it. Edenssixthday mentioned it smelling like Imp of the Perverse, and I definitely see the comparison here.

Verdict: surprisingly complex with a greyish-pink woody tone, hints of the fragrant yet slightly bitter scent I associate with rosewood, and gorgeous accents of dry rose petals, it smells like a box in which rose petals were kept for centuries, it’s an ‘old’ scent. This is the rosewood from Winter of our Discontent and Cup of Death, and reminds me of a darker, drier, sharper version of Séance. It’s a much nicer rosewood than most, very good quality, but I’m not as keen on the drydown when it turns slightly pickled on me-I much prefer the light, airy, dusty and delicately fragrant wood of Séance. But I’m glad I gave this rare scent a try…I prefer rosewood as a scent component than a single note though.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? I think I’ll see if I can swap this SN sniffy for another one.

For me, rosewood skews towards the spectrum of rose scents that I prefer on my skin--lighter, less...pushy, I guess, for lack of a better term. That is as much as to say that it reminds me more of the white rose single note, or of Havisham, than of the sort of big, rich, red rose in Rose Red or the Peacock Queen, both of which are scents that seem to amp themselves up more, project themselves further, on my skin.

Rosewood is, instead, closer to the skin, and warm where white rose is cool--the effect, I would guess, of the "wood" bit of the note grounding the rose?