Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Honeyed labdanum, neroli, vanilla husk, night blooming jasmine, ink rose petals, and pale threads of incense smoke.

Edited by Jenjin

Just got my package two days ago, so this is a first impression test and is subject to change with more rest!!

In the bottle: jasmine, and something bitter plant-y green Freshly applied: so strong on the jasmine, fresh though like smelling it straight on the plant!

Drydown: starting to smell something like a smoky labdanum maybe? Or maybe it's the incense smoke? It's wayyy in the background though. I'm not too familiar with neroli. I'm not smelling rose petals either. Oh, after an hour or so I sniffed myself again and now it's almost equal parts night blooming jasmine and a sultry smoky incensey labdanum! I think this one might benefit from more resting though and I'll update if it changes.

At first this is all neroli, and a really wonderful version of what can be at times too sharp a flower. The vanilla creeps in but just rounds things out, and after about an hour a distinctly Japanese incense note appears. I don’t know what ingredient in Japanese incense makes it smell the way it does, but anyone who has experience with the stuff will recognize it here. As the day goes on, this is decidedly an incense scent, given depth by labdanum. What is really surprising is that in the later stages, the Jasmine suddenly comes to the fore. 

Given the art and name, I was expecting this to be a clean/dirty joke with soapy florals and dirty resins, maybe some indoles. Instead, I think the voyeur’s window is the main source of inspiration. I find myself in a dark, incense-filled room, with the window flung open carrying in the refreshing smells of neroli and Jasmine. I am not getting any rose,  but I’m not missing it either. 

Edit: After a few more wears I definitely am getting rose, very strongly even! But it’s a pale, powdery rose that blends beautifully with the other pastel florals in the composition. I’m loving this more and more—a fresh and surprisingly innocent springtime floral done round and resinous BPAL style. 

Edited by gentle-twig

In the bottle this reminds me of a grownup Bounce- neroli up front backed vanilla and florals. Softer and less sweet though, powder pink instead of bubblegum. On the skin it is very much a different scent. The jasmine and rose sidle right up alongside the neroli, and the incense and labdanum come out, giving a rich resiny base to the scent. The scent takes awhile to settle out, each time I go back for a sniff I feel a different component stands out a bit more. In the end I would say it's resin/incense forward followed by rose, jasmine and neroli with the vanilla blurring the edges on my skin. It's a beautiful and slightly nostalgic blend, and for having such bold florals the overall effect is quite soft and muted.