Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
ShunnerOfHugs

Something to layer with "Italian Lemon Peel and Orange Blossom" for paper scenting

Hello! I've been scenting some stationary by shutting it in a box with cotton swabs dabbed in BPAL's "Italian Lemon Peel & Orange Blossom". It smells nice, but I want to add some depth to it by adding another scent as well. I would be grateful for any recommendations! I was thinking maybe something involving marshmallows or violets, but am definitely open to other suggestions. Just anything except lavender! 

I'm planning on mostly using this paper to write letters for a fantasy regency-esque game in the future (Good Society maybe mixed with D&D) and the character I'm going to play is the daughter of an air djinn from a court of summer winds, so I'm going for something light and summery. I tried Dormouse, which is one of my favorite scents, but the overall effect when combined with the lemon & orange blossom was a bit unpleasantly astringent.

I love this idea. I have yet to (intentionally) try my hand at layering, but here's what I have for potential matches:

Basically my only experience with layering is when I put on a scent while Zorya Polunochnaya (Pale amber and ambergris, gossamer vanilla, moonflower, and white tobacco petals) is still lingering. It's an airy, cool-toned vanilla, and it seems to get along beautifully with everything. Not marshmallow, but sweet, gentle, and grounding.

My first thought was Sybaris (Bright violet with sweet clove, Mediterranean incense notes and tonka bean), which is a sweet spicy violet cloud on me, but it might overpower the base blend. Good (Shimmering celestial musk with vanilla, white honey, acacia, and sugar cane) from the RPG series is intended for layering, and can add a nice neutral sweetness.

Kumiho (A sharp, biting blend of crisp white tea and ginger) and Baobhan Sith (Grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger) are both crisp, airy scents that I don't think would detract from the lemon and orange blossom. Embalming Fluid (white musk, green tea, aloe and lemon) fits in that category as well.

Arkham (A shadowy, unapproachable forest of maple, birch, dogwood, cypress and pine softened by a garland of New England wildflowers: bergamot, columbine, rue anemone, blue violet, creeping phlox, bloodroot, toadflax, and pixie moss) is not at all shadowy or grim to me, but rather a sweet, summery green meadow distantly encircled by trees.

Finally, there was a fairly recent (2020) trio of Lemon Peel, Marshmallow, & Orange Blossom that might not be hard to find in sales/swaps and that would be perfect.

I hope some of that helps and that your game goes well!

9 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

I love this idea. I have yet to (intentionally) try my hand at layering, but here's what I have for potential matches:

Basically my only experience with layering is when I put on a scent while Zorya Polunochnaya (Pale amber and ambergris, gossamer vanilla, moonflower, and white tobacco petals) is still lingering. It's an airy, cool-toned vanilla, and it seems to get along beautifully with everything. Not marshmallow, but sweet, gentle, and grounding.

My first thought was Sybaris (Bright violet with sweet clove, Mediterranean incense notes and tonka bean), which is a sweet spicy violet cloud on me, but it might overpower the base blend. Good (Shimmering celestial musk with vanilla, white honey, acacia, and sugar cane) from the RPG series is intended for layering, and can add a nice neutral sweetness.

Kumiho (A sharp, biting blend of crisp white tea and ginger) and Baobhan Sith (Grapefruit, white tea, apple blossom and ginger) are both crisp, airy scents that I don't think would detract from the lemon and orange blossom. Embalming Fluid (white musk, green tea, aloe and lemon) fits in that category as well.

Arkham (A shadowy, unapproachable forest of maple, birch, dogwood, cypress and pine softened by a garland of New England wildflowers: bergamot, columbine, rue anemone, blue violet, creeping phlox, bloodroot, toadflax, and pixie moss) is not at all shadowy or grim to me, but rather a sweet, summery green meadow distantly encircled by trees.

Finally, there was a fairly recent (2020) trio of Lemon Peel, Marshmallow, & Orange Blossom that might not be hard to find in sales/swaps and that would be perfect.

I hope some of that helps and that your game goes well!

Thank you so much for all these recommendations! They all sound lovely. I think I'll probably add samples of Good and maybe Sybaris to my next BPAL order to try out. (Even if they don't end up working for the paper, they might work on me!) 

Sign in to follow this