Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Jenjin

Red Oakmoss, Cedarwood, and Sweet Patchouli

I think that this is the strongest bpal that I own.  It has massive throw and lasts allll day on my skin with the tiniest drop.  
I adore the lab's "sweet patchouli," will buy almost anything with oakmoss in it, and love cedar when it smells like actual cedar (I love both the dry chip scent of cedar and the green part of cedar).
Given these notes, I expected an earthy forest blend that smelled like running through the woods, but this is more of a polished men's fragrance type of scent. 

I feel like this menage is the masculine, department store perfume version of those three notes, wrapped up in traditional men's perfume musk, spice and citrus.  It doesn't smell natural or like rolling in earthy oakmoss and patchouli essential oils.  It's more polished, manly musky, and tangy, reminding me of the Lab's blends like Wilde (but much darker), where it smells like a men's fragrance that you could get in a department store.  I like that, however, and I've always worn a lot of fragrances that were marketed towards men.  I get whiffs of dry, vintage oakmoss and the warm, grounding earthiness of the patchouli, but I also feel like this is a spicy, dark musk and hints of sweet, clean citrus, the kind that's in many men's fragrances.

I love it, even though it wasn't what I was initially expecting.

Red oakmoss: "I'm not a regular oakmoss, I'm a cool oakmoss" 😎

The throw on this reads like a very polished cedar scent on me, with the oakmoss boosting the signal. If I get in close, I get more of the patch. As is often the case with these blends, and as is mentioned above, the sum is more than the parts - you could easily convince me there's a dash of clove lurking.

I always assume oakmoss will clobber everything, but this trio is beautifully balanced. Although it may be a bit overpowering for me and I usually like a big scent! If you want to command the room in what will likely be perceived as a masc leaning fragrance, this is one to check out. A dab on the sternum should do the trick.