Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Caspar David Friedrich

Oak boughs, olive blossoms, tendrils of thick, overgrown ivy, fossilized amber, and crumbling stone.

Oof first! But since these are coming down soon, I wanted to give my notes.

This one is sharp and green and stony. It definitely paints a picture. It starts out with ivy curling up an old oak tree outside a crumbling stone ruin. There s a sharp greenness, mellowed a bit by the woody oak, but the stone is a dry, crumbly scent. After it dries down it stays sharp and green but gets an almost powdery note on my skin that might be the fossil amber. It does have a bit of a cologne feel to it, with the clean greenness. If you like the lab's green mossy notes, definitely give this one a try. It lasts quite a long time on me and has medium silage. I have a lot of green scents but I am definitely debating picking up a bottle before the come down.

Bayou is one of my all time favorite bpal fragrances and Eldena Ruin is like the softer, more feminine version of Bayou.  It's like they're in the same family, but Eldena Ruin fronts as a proper Southern belle with more floral and an elegant, powdery undertone, while secretly being a swamp witch in her heart.  I swear I can smell a blue-green water and Spanish moss in this that I also get from Bayou, though the mossiness here is turned down.

Eldena Ruin has a swampy, warm, humid quality to it, like Southern greenery and heady blossoms covered in a sheen of moisture, the heavy heat causing them to give off huge wafts of romantic floral and what smells like a mossy greenery and smooth, slightly darker ivy note to me.  I get blue-green water, smooth greenery, a delicately sweet and humidly floral olive blossom, and powdery amber.  Or perhaps that's the olive blossom giving off that soft, powdery quality, because it doesn't really smell like fossilized amber to me.  I usually get a smoky quality and hint of evergreen from that type of amber, and this isn't smoky or pine-y at all.  I don't know.  I do know that I love this and I've been wearing it a lot.  It smells like my dreams of moving permanently to Florida.

I'm surprised how light and powdery this is. It's a light green soft moss with some stoney bits. Something in this is papery, too. Something threatens to go sour and sharp, not quite getting there, but enough funk on my skin to go weird. This would be better as a room atmo for me, but YMMV, of course.