Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Jenjin

Hearth 2023

Sweet pipe tobacco, cherry wood, the warm, worn leather of an easy chair and a pleasant, subtle waft of fireplace smoke.

Edited by Jenjin

A velvet-swathed alcove, flickering tongues of gaslight, a crystal decanter, amber liquid catching the light, a molten jewel held captive in glass, swirling with the scent of cherries bruised and black as midnight and the secret incantations of honeybees.

I'm always surprised at how radically different notes can be with small variations. The pipe tobacco in this is a RADICAL departure from, say, the blond tobacco note of Pinched With Four Aces, or the French Tobacco Single Note. I sometimes amp tobacco, so I was hesitant about this, but I also was feeling a pang of regret for having swapped my OG 2004 Hearth a bajillion years ago, so I wanted to give this update a try. And the scent does NOT disappoint. The tobacco and cherrywood set the stage for the tone of this scent, which indeed invokes feeling of warm coziness in front of a roaring fire. I in fact get a vibe more in line with the scene being set in a comfy, quiet study or private library, floor-to-ceiling cases completely filled with well-loved leather-bound volumes. A note about the leather: on me, in this blend, it's virtually non-existent, which was another surprise- given that leather notes far too frequently become a HAI I'M TANNED HIDE affair, drowning out all else. The smoke note is a mid-range, omni-present aspect, adding substantially to the overall effect and general ambience, but not overpowering the blend, merely adding a welcome extra dimension.
After full dry down, the scent has morphed little, merely settling a bit more firmly into itself. I'm going to play around with my decant a bit more in the next month: if it ages in a way that deepens the scent, I will likely spring for a full bottle. If not, I will happily pull my vial out when the mood strikes on an especially cold or snowy day. :wub:

On 12/18/2023 at 10:13 PM, Jenjin said:

Sweet pipe tobacco, cherry wood, the warm, worn leather of an easy chair and a pleasant, subtle waft of fireplace smoke.

Hearth is very interesting, extremely well rounded, and straight up delicious--both in a sexy/spicy/sultry way, and an edible way! I adore it. Hubby adores it. We both love it on ourselves and on one another so much that we can twin with this scent 😄.  I will say, for some reason, though it is not listed, we both get a strong, ultra-dark chocolate out of this. A dry, deep, resinous, dark cacao type of chocolate. Especially sniffing the bottle. It almost smells like cacao absolute. But the funny thing is, on the skin, on hubby it turns into pure leather with a hint of spicy smoke in the background with barely a dusting of cacao wood type notes. On me, I amp the "chocolate" like element completely and get almost no leather. Maybe more of a smoked lapsang cacao situation. Which is nearly mouthwatering as far as we're both concerned. I wouldn't call it sweet or overly gourmand, but well balanced for sure, and quite deep and moody, borderline gourmand. 9/10

Edit to add: In the final ultimate dry down the sweet cherry wood finally emerges and holds on until the end, become more and more incense-like as it fades. This is truly very beautiful.  

Edited by Shadowdawn

Wet , I get soft wafts of leather that sits close to the skin, which I can only smell if I get my nose right up to my skin, and fresh pipe tobacco (like opening a new pouch of fine tobacco back when I used to smoke rolling tobacco). It’s very smoky initially, almost too smoky for my liking.

From feedback from others, there’s a spiciness. My mother commented I “smelled like curry powder” then my chiropractor asked what I was wearing, he smelled something spicy. Now I can’t shake the association. I feel like it’s coming from the smoke element, perhaps the wood. I’m not getting a whole lot of cherry initially. Although once it starts to dry down, I detect a hint of cherry wood if I smell closely.

Ultimately the dry down is skin hugging lovely cherry tobacco. It  just takes a twisting journey to get there.

I can’t find my decant of Hearth 05 to save my life (to compare). I think aging this will either subdue the spicy smoke or amp it.

Edited by lilacea
spelling

I get a lot of smoke here, more than a subtle hint, but it's a nice smoky note and not overwhelming. The pipe tobacco note is complex and layered, with threads of rich honey and chocolate. I don't get any kind of fruitiness from the cherry wood, but it is maybe a bit spicy. I don't really get a lot of leather, though. Maybe sometimes I can detect it if I really focus.

I'm still not 100% sold on smoke as a note because I'm kind of sensitive to it, but this is lovely. I'm glad I finally got to try Hearth!