Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Moonbell

Tips for using up the rest of my perfume oils?

Hi all!

Hope this isn't a sacrilegious question to ask!

I've accumulated quite a few BPAL scents over the years. I love most of them, but others I have hardly used - some are great in the bottle but not on my skin, others I got because I was curious about a scent only to find I don't like wearing a particular note that I otherwise enjoy (myrrh is the biggest culprit, sadly). I'm very tempted by a few of the Yule 2023 scents but I feel bad ordering more when I've already got a good bunch, so I want to use up some of the ones I have. 

Can someone suggest ways to use the oils other than as perfume? 

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Thought I'd add this here instead of making a new thread but... a couple of things I was thinking was anointing candles and using in an oil diffuser, but I know with some scents and brands the heat could potentially break down the oils into stuff that I shouldn't be inhaling... any advice there regarding BPAL specifically? 

Edited by Moonbell

This may not be exactly in line with what you're asking, but here's a couple things I've been using extra scents for:

• Scenting my stuffed animals/plushies. If there's a scent that fits thematically for an object, I'm happy to apply it! BPAL's Amsterdam didn't agree with me, but the grassy/floral scent was perfect for a plush sheep I have.
  • Giving a few sample vials away to friends to spark their interest in indie perfume houses
  • Scenting the paper used for scrapbooks or letters sent to friends!

I like to make a simple body scrub using sugar or salt and a skin loving oil (like almond or sometimes a light olive oil). Usually four tablespoons of sugar/salt to one tablespoon of oil. Then I add in whichever fragrance I want to use up. It’s a nice way to get good use out of imps that seem to accumulate.

Edit: this can be a quite oily scrub so try a little on your hands before your shower and add more sugar/salt if it’s too oily to your liking. I have super dry skin that just soaks it all up. 

Edited by lilacea

Ohhh thank you both, the scrub idea sounds lovely and I love the idea of scenting scrapbooks or letter paper! I never would have thought of that one, thanks so much!

BPAL imps often work well in the bath. This is a great use for any scents that you enjoy sniffing in the vial and perhaps wet on the skin but are ultimately foiled by your skin chemistry.

You may have seen this already but, since you're new (welcome!) I should mention that there's a swap forum here where you might try swapping some of your less loved vials and bottles for others that you'd enjoy more.

10 hours ago, Exquise-moi said:

You may have seen this already but, since you're new (welcome!) I should mention that there's a swap forum here where you might try swapping some of your less loved vials and bottles for others that you'd enjoy more.

My concern was with shipping these since I'm in the UK but hopefully there's people in the UK who might want to swap, definitely wouldn't hurt to ask in any case! Thanks ^^

something i really like doing is applying scents about an hour before bed, or even right before bed, if i like the way it smells for the first couple hours but not what it morphs into. depending on the ingredients in the oil, you can also turn them into sprays with either perfumer's alcohol or a linen spray base mix.

if you have the time, doing swaps/selling them is probably the best use though.

Sign in to follow this