Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Pumpkin Spice Dark ‘N Stormy

Pumpkin Spice Dark 'n Stormy - Here are my fresh from the mailbox goblin impressions. For context, I don't consider myself a "pumpkin spice" person, I like the spice profile but don't tend to go all out on it yearly, but I was intrigued by this enough to blind buy!

Immediately, I am in LOVE with how the sour lime and full spicy rum are balancing out the sweet fizziness of the ginger beer. All of the promised notes are present and robust. Right out the bottle you can smell a sweet smoky molasses-like note, popping into a carbonated middle range ginger beer soda note and ending with the lime trail. I can tell I'm going to be reaching for this a LOT this fall for grocery runs and walks. I can definitely smell the spices in the overall profile, but I don't feel like I'm wearing "that smell" bottled, it does come off as its own complex lovely scent. It also could tempt some people who prefer a more masculine scent profile but want to do something seasonal, it walks a really nice unisex line.

Lemon fizz with a little bit of ginger. I don't get any booze nor pumpkin spice. And this doesn't remind me of ginger beer so much as a lemon soda, or carbonated water with a lot of citrus. the ginger is there though. This scent also does not have great throw on me.

Across the board I found that the boozy Pumpkin Patch blends have a lot of volatile alcohol top notes that boil out when you uncap, but the blend will smell almost completely different after some gentle oxidation. Based on my experience, I suggest you let the bottles sit uncapped and breathe for a good 15 minutes before testing - or hey, just shoot it straight!

Pumpkin Spice Dark n' Stormy comes out of the bottle swinging mad, so let him cool off. Sniffed: treacley black rum as advertised, plus fizzy ginger beer and lime rind. Pumpkin pie married to a dark syrup pecan pie, boozier than a Christmas fruitcake and twice as drunk as your uncle. BIG booze mood here. BIG mad, BIG throw...blimey, this is LIMEY. To paraphrase Douglas Adams, PS D&S is like having a pirate smash your brains out with a slice of lime wrapped around a solid gold brick.

...hold on, this trip is WILD. Now I smell butter in the vial, so add key lime pie to the scent profile (but there's no butter on my skin). In fact, the longer I leave the bottle open, the more I'm smelling a buttery richness down in the depths. It's like peering through the seas of dark rum to the shipwrecked pie ten fathoms down.

Otherwise, this BIG GINGER BIG SPICES KEY LIME ARRRR.

Drydown: The most ... realistic .. grapefruit I've ever smelled. Grapefruit? Yes. Ruby Red grapefruit, to be exact, plus the aforementioned ginger beer and nutmeg.

Booziness: 5/5. Pumpkin Pie Spiciness: 5/5. Trippiness: 3.5 hits.