Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  

Black leather, polished black patchouli and

blood-red vegetal musk, bakhoor oudh, tobacco absolute,

sacred frankincense, fossilized amber resin, and bittersweet cacao.

So first of all, yes, this is a slay 💅 because adding black leather to an oudh blend and making it more accessible to the masses is really something. I was a bit nervous because I love Slay 2018 and black leather is an iffy note for me. Adding it alongside frankincense though (also absent from the 2018 formulation) probably makes a difference, and it's possible the proportions of the other notes in the blend were adjusted too. There are only two different notes and it's an entirely different perfume - a very impressive costume change!

In the OG blend, the throw for me is all red musk and oudh, swagger and strut, and maybe that's due in part to the fact that it's had some time to marinate. In the new Pride Monster formulation, I'm getting a lot less oudh and even less musk, and the vibe is kinda chill! I get a surprisingly comfy casual black leather thrown over the top of everything, plus I can pick out more of the tobacco and cacao. Almost like the original is the stage costume and the new version is what to wear out after the show. It's a timeless, effortless, genderless type of cool.

In my opinion it's worth trying both, but if you're nervous about oudh, I find this one easy to wear. I am testing from a decant and contemplating a bottle. 

Wet: Leather, patchouli, and a hint of the bittersweet cocoa. The oudh is making an appearance but is behaving.. for now!

Dry: Dark and leathery(as a bonus, no oudh! - we do not get along), but also with some musky sweetness.

Surprisingly wearable for my personal tastes, though I think I'd enjoy this more on my husband.