Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Seajewel

Lekythoi

Rivulets of myrrh and pelanon clinging to ancient clay, remnants of thyme, moringa, spikenard, and hyssop.

LEKYTHOI Smells of the brine of the ocean and resinous petrified sap of ancient trees, like cool, polished sea glass and golden amber laced with tiny bubbles, heaped tall in vessels of dusty clay and submerged in rich, grassy olive oil. Offerings to appease the sirens, left on the crashing tides of lonely islands amidst tumbling, clackering piles of sailor’s bones. 

I can’t pinpoint the exact bit that makes this so beautiful to me, but it’s a gorgeous blend that has an edge of grief & sadness in it (this is probably because of a personal connection than anything else). Wet, as well as in the bottle, it’s like an odd baked clay incense scent. Which was unique & strange but I enjoyed it.

Dry down had it morph more into a sort of dry, sun-hot dirt in a garden of herbs & earthy flowers. The easiest way my brain identified it was as the smell of one of my beloved (passed away in 2017) cat’s fur after he’d lay in a little patch of dried dirt under our big thyme plant. It was a smell unique to him but this comes close.

I’ll assume you never smelt my cat, so to be a bit plainer: it smells like sun-baked clay with the comfort of black tea with a herbal component that might remind you of rosemary, fennel, or barley. Dosed with a dollop of wild honey.

I think the pelanon takes the lion's share of base notes, while the thyme, hyssop, & spikenard are hard to pick out individually unless you really try (or your skin chemistry is much different to mine). The myrrh & clay blend in a strange sort of resin I can’t pinpoint but it’s a very nice backdrop. While I thought I’d be more disappointed about the loss of my beloved myrrh in this tiny symphony of sun-filled days, I can’t say I am. This blends to a scent I can’t match any other bottle to (closest I have is Columns of the Temple of Neptune at Paestum & even then, it’s more the vibe of sun-baked nature & some form of incense/resin) & I have really enjoyed wearing it. 

I’d have to say this is pretty unisex & has a low throw but long wear. I highly recommend it.

Edited by Diesis

This is one of those scents I really love and feel I can't do justice to in a review. It's gentle and earthy, like an herb garden drying in the sun after a light rain. Even though the notes are completely different, it reminds me of Summer Rain, another of my favorites.