Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sofaking6

Sites to Identify Notes in Popular Fragrances

I found this cool little site:

http://www.scentagious.com/index.html

You can look up a perfume by name, and it will tell you the top, center and base notes. I'm having fun searching BPAL for the notes in my favorite, Extravagance D'Amariche, which apparently contains:

Top: mandarin, jasmine & pink peppercorn

Heart: Orange blossom, violet & wisteria

Base: Ambrox (synthetic ambergris), sandalwood, cedarwood and black iris

Ooh, that's handy!

One of my faves is Poison (Hypnotic), and it turns out to be...

"an amber, wood, musk fragrance with a fusion of four vibrant harmonies.First, bitter almond contributes a frisson of delight and danger, underscored by the intoxicating freshness of caraway. Then there's jasmine sambac, a highly feminine scent. Third, comes the smoky tones of moss combined with jacaranda wood. Finally, warm, voluptuous vanilla blends with the depth and sexiness of musk, for a sensual drydown."

Wordy and probably straight off the box, but good to know! Clearly I'm one of the teeming honey-amber-vanilla throng with pretentions at sophistication! :P

Funny that's how I found the site - my boss recently finished a round of radiation treatment and I wanted to find something nice and BPAL-y for her, and she said Poison is her scent.

Another good one I've been using is www.basenotes.net/directory

It's the same sort of thing - really useful when looking for a bpal fragrance that my mother would like (she's an Estee Lauder fan usually :P )

I'd probably use Basenotes over Scentagious. I just tried a couple classics on Scentagious, and broke their search engine each time... Basenotes may not *have* anything on a given classic scent, but at least their search engine doesn't break so easily.

Kalli

I just tweaked the title of this thread a little bit to make sure it's searchable - I think it's really a helpful topic for the section and appreciate all the contributions to it. :P