Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
abberlaine

Anything close to Hanae Mori?

Have I not posted here before?

If you like Hanae Mori Butterfly, Antique Lace should be right up your alley. It's a dead ringer for the strawberries-and-cream vanilla base.

i tried an advanced search for the notes you described. didn't find anything that really looked/smelled like what you said.

i would look thru the ars draconis line (layering them would be a good idea maybe?). dragon's blood is usually very berry like. i would order a sample imp of dragon's blood to see how you like it, some people can't take it. dragon's heart (A scent pulsing with vitality, warmth and insurmountable strength: dragon's blood resin, red and black musks, a throb of fig and a sliver of black currant.) is very lovely, i think you would like it.

other than that, you would probably have to layer. as i've never smelled hanae mori, i can't make any good rec for you...i think it would be best to layer. perhaps fallen (Cherubic white sandalwood and golden musk with a dark halo of amber, a breath of imperial florals, unbending woods, and the shadow cast by vetiver and violet.) with something berrish?

(note that i am biased on the ars draconis line of bpal)

ETA: oh crap, my net was being crappy and i saw that it listed the berry as STRAWberry, so dragon's blood wouldn't really be the best idea, it's more grape and blackberryish.

Maenad (Orgiastic mayhem in the extreme: sweet strawberry and orange blossom distorted by carnation, black poppy and hibiscus.) might be a better idea to layer. it's very pretty and i didn't know it had poppy in it...o_O

Edited by klavierbarrette

i don't know about you, but on me hanae mori (which is one of my favorite non-bpal scents btw, I'm glad to hear there are other fans out there) dries down to a lovely strawberry/vanilla foody scent. If this happens on you, and you LIKE that, you absolutely need to get some Pink Phoenix (although i think it was either discontinued or limited edition - you can still find it for sale/swap on the forums though)

I've also tried layering hanae mori with pink phoenix, and that's wonderful as well. :P

Hanae Mori was a sweet vanilla scent on me, but YMMV.

Similar BPAL scents might include: Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, Eat Me, Antique Lace, Dragon's Milk, Regan.

I like HM Butterfly; too. I haven't found any BPAL that smells like it, but I have a hunch that if you layer Maenad or Bon Vivant with something vanilla-y (maybe Regan?) you'll have a similar scent. On me, the HM had a distinct strawberry vibe over the vanilla and sandalwood, so........

good luck, let us know how it turns out!

Edited by nikkoblue

Sorry, one more.....I wore Xiutecuchtli for the first time today, and I find it very similar to Butterfly, with a slight touch of orange blossom instead of strawberry.

I just tried HM Butterfly today. On me, I'm not getting any berries, it's more vanilla and sandalwood. It actually reminds me strongly, strongly, strongly of MB underpants.

ETA: ok, well, it's been on a while and it's smelling less and less like underpants. but when it's fresh, at least on me, it's a dead ringer for underpants.

Edited by cranberry

I think Dorian is spookily like Hanae Mori. My sister wears HM religiously and I smell it every day. I just tried Dorian for the first time and my immediate thought was 'damn, this smells just like Hanae Mori!' Even through the drydown.

Thought you might want to give that one a shot if you haven't already - though this thread is pretty old, so maybe you've found a different BPAL that fits even better!

Liz smells a lot like Hanae Mori Butterfly* on me! Very weird considering that notes list, but it really does -- first time I ever smelled Liz I was like, "Oh hai, Butterfly!" If I recall correctly, Ellebelle (on the forums) said the same thing to me just as before I tested it at her place, so I'm not totally nuts. I think.

*the eau de parfum, not the eau de toilette

Sign in to follow this