Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
March

Grass and Hay scents

I'm a complete BPAL-newbie (my first order has yet to be placed), but ever since I mentioned BPAL to my mother, she's been intrigued.

One of her favourite scents is grass. Yes, the normal green fluffy stuff on lawns, not the drug. :P She absolutely loves the smell of freshly mown grass.

So - do you know any BPALs that smell like grass or hay?

I don't really think I've run into any BPAL scents that smell purely like green grass. The closest I've run into is Ides of March - which doesn't necessarily smell like grass, but is really fresh and green and sweet...and always reminds me of being in a field or meadow.

As far as hay - the single note Sweet Grass smells pretty much exactly like freshly mown hay, but it's rather hard to find.

Both Amsterdam and the Dormouse were very lawn-y to my nose. Both have floral components, but the tulip in Amsterdam in particular seemed very light.

People say Scarecrow smells like dry grass.

Rosalind smells like growing grass and berries to me.

The Unicorn smells like a spring meadow in the sun.

Phantom Queen smells like a spring meadow at dawn, wet with dew.

Thanks all!

Phantom Queen sounds quite nice, I'll add that one to my order.

And I'll definitely keep my eye out for the Sweet Grass single note!

I *think* I remember the review for the Lion having hay/grass mentioned, like the lion pen at the zoo, or something. I've never tried it, but maybe read the reviews for it?

Seconding Rosalind -- there's a sweet floral component, but also a very strong fresh grassy scent.

And, um, good luck with landing a Sweet Grass single note. I've been kicking around for six months and never managed to snag a SN of any scent, partly because I can't afford it. You'd be best off checking Ebay or the "alchemylab" community at Livejournal, although be prepared to pay through the nose.

Amsterdam smelled exactly like a freshly mown lawn on me, very crisp and green. It wasn't my thing, but if you like grass, I think you'll adore it. :P

I love the Lab's grass note. I smell it the strongest in Rosalind, which is very pretty -- fresh and sweet.

Good luck!

Wow, more grass than I expected. :D

My first order is out, but I'll definitely keep those in mind for later. Strange that the scent 'Amsterdam' smells like grass - I was in Amsterdam last Tuesday and it just smells like city to me. :P

Too bad the single note is so expensive. Guess that one's off my list, then. At least until I graduate and get a proper job.

Wow, more grass than I expected. :D

My first order is out, but I'll definitely keep those in mind for later. Strange that the scent 'Amsterdam' smells like grass - I was in Amsterdam last Tuesday and it just smells like city to me. :P

Too bad the single note is so expensive. Guess that one's off my list, then. At least until I graduate and get a proper job.

A highly time-dependent scent, but Spirits of the Dead smells VERY grassy to me, so maybe keep an eye on the swap forums if you don't feel like making another order again before it goes away? So does The Apothecary, maybe there is the same tea note in both? but The Apothecary is sweeter (the fig probably) and spicier, and Spirits smells fresher to me, more just green.

The closest to a grass scent I have found in BPAL is, unfortunately, in an unreleased scent-Val Sans Retour. It also has pine and foresty scents as well as possibly citrus or herbs, but I got a 'green grass in summer' note from it too.

Scarecrow definitely reminds me of hay rather than grass, and Coyote has a lovely meadow/hay/prairie note to it as well. As for other grass oils, Ava Luxe has a dupe called Green Grass of Summer which is very, well, lawn-y.

Oro

Mantis makes me think of grass. It is green in color, first of all...but it is a very fresh, green smell to me, and the patchouli in the background makes me think of soil (though it is barely "smellable" in the blend to me) and then there's golden amber pouring over like sunlight. Again, very faintly.

And I wish I had kept my bottle. I'm ordering another one I think. It's my favorite fresh green spring smell.

So - do you know any BPALs that smell like grass or hay?

Roadhouse is a VERY grassy scent. But, more like grass in the middle of summer on a dry day. Very hay/grass/dandilion kind of scent. However, I do get a TON of hops from it, so it does make one smell a bit "beerish" as well.

I got some grass from the Unicorn, but I got mostly white flowers from that one.

Wish I could be more helpful.

scarecrow smells like the air on a dry Jerusalem summer night, with the dry plants in the fields and the dew settling in and releasing their hay-ish scent into the air. very dry. I'm not sure this is what you're looking for.

as for the fresh green stuff, I haven't tried neither the Dormouse nor Amsterdam, but I have tried Envy which is sweet, green and herbal yet not grassy.

I've also tried (and loved) Machu Picchu, and it's green in a very different way. it's the image of a tropical rainforest. totally lush and abundant, slghtly sweet with a slight fruitiness to it. It shimmers.

I second Val Sans Retour. I'm waiting with baited breath for the lab to release this one for real, because I love the pure grassy meadow scent I get from it. I love Rosalind, too, and it is grassy, but it has a more floral component to it, too.

On a side note, I love Demeter's Dandelion. If only it lasted longer!

As for other grass oils, Ava Luxe has a dupe called Green Grass of Summer which is very, well, lawn-y.

I have to second this - I believe Ava Luxe's oil is a dupe/inspired by the late, lamented Grass perfume made by the Gap. I suspect that the Gap scent is exactly what you're looking for, you may want to check for it on eBay, but the price for the perfume (as opposed to the EDT or body splash) is usually pretty high.

None of the BPAL I've tried thus far has that really grassy/lawny type of smell. I think maybe because it is not the world's most complex smell and sort of overwhelms things it is paired with? In any event, I highly recommend Ava Luxe's Grass perfume oil, and they are a great company to deal with.

As for other grass oils, Ava Luxe has a dupe called Green Grass of Summer which is very, well, lawn-y.

I have to second this - I believe Ava Luxe's oil is a dupe/inspired by the late, lamented Grass perfume made by the Gap. I suspect that the Gap scent is exactly what you're looking for, you may want to check for it on eBay, but the price for the perfume (as opposed to the EDT or body splash) is usually pretty high.

None of the BPAL I've tried thus far has that really grassy/lawny type of smell. I think maybe because it is not the world's most complex smell and sort of overwhelms things it is paired with? In any event, I highly recommend Ava Luxe's Grass perfume oil, and they are a great company to deal with.

There is a shop called The Soap Opera in Madison, Wisconsin. Years ago, they made a dupe for me of The Gap's Grass scent (I wanted an oil version of it so it would last longer). It isn't dead on but it is crazy hypnotic. They have a recipe card for it - I've been ordering 2-3 vials a years for the past 11 years. If you ever get near the place, check it out.

Bumping this thread - I must be thinking of spring - I think that Garden Path With Chickens has a very fresh, green grass note in it. It's combined with lots of wildflowers and just a hint of something aquatic that gives it a dewy feel, but that green grass hits me every time. I can't wait to order a bottle of this one.

Guess I have to try Garden Path With Chickens, too. Because I love freshly mowned grass. Tryied some of the mentioned scents and there was no grass to me :P Had so far: Amsterdam, The Dormouse, Rosalind, The Unicorn, Phantom Queen. Some of them are nice but none of them is grass ... funny, it seems like such a simple thing - grass! - but it's so hard to find!

Tried some of the mentioned scents and there was no grass to me :P Had so far: Amsterdam, The Dormouse, Rosalind, The Unicorn, Phantom Queen.

Antaria, none of those smelled like grass on me either. I would try The Apothecary if you haven't; also, Mag Mell has a detectable grassy note on me but YMMV, there are a lot of notes in it like amber, verbena and sage that really amp up on some people and may hide the meadowy goodness.