Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

First sniff: Fruity bubblegum or Jolly Ranchers. It’s hard-candy sweet. Green apple, maybe.

Wearing: It’s very, very bubblegum-y. Exactly like pink squishy bubblegum, the kind with the little drop of syrup inside. And as it dries just a little bit… oh dear. Is that civet? Whatever it is, it Really Does Not Like Me.

chango.jpg

Wow! this is really a great blend but let me preface it by saying that wet in the bottle (that means concentrated and "uncured" by the air) Chango smells like airplane cement. Don't pay that any attention, put it on your skin and shut your pie hole.This stuff goes on a tropical rampage that is really nifty. You can smell the civet in here and it is actually very sexy and blends well with the fruity bits. That is a major miracle. Just for the scent jolt, Chango is a great oil.

What is that icon all about? Well, yes there is a story. The image is of St. Barbara whose picture is associated with Chango due to her being the patron saint of artillery, so she is actually fitting as a symbol of this most masculine of gods, the God of Lightening (a blinding flash of light and huge destruction).

In the bottle and on my skin, TAL Changó is proof that the gods have a sense of humour. It combines the rotting bananas of Manila with the icky coconut of Elegba, the fruity wretchedness of Fruit Moon, and that weird tobacco-ish note in Ogún to produce probably one of the most vile BPAL or TAL scents I've ever tried. Wow.

I used it for the first time a few days ago for a ritual. I was feeling very angry over the indiscretions and lies of an ex, and since I associate Changó strongly with justice, I applied this blend and then began 'talking' to him about the situation. I lit a candle and explained how I felt, that I was mad, but that I knew stupid blind anger would lead nowhere, and asked him to give justice in the situation.

As I finished my request, asking for justice in whatever manner he saw fit - the candle flame leaped up once with an audible hiss, and then went out.

Regardless of the final outcome of this interesting 'omen,' I do know that I felt closer to Changó and his strong, vibrant energies while using this oil, and will keep and use it despite the smell. :P