Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
nhough73

Looking for something along the lines of Michael

I love the smell of Michael by Michael Kohrs, but I like the staying power and oomph of BPAL's oils. Is there anything out there in BPAL's line up that smells something along the lines of Michael?

The blurb for Michael's description on Sephora.com is as follows:

Michael by Michael Kors is tuberose reinvented. Creamy florals explode into exotic spices, tamed by Moroccan incense.

Notes:

Dewy Freesia, Tamarind, Chinese Osmanthus, Incense, Fresh Tuberose, White Wings Peony, Blue Orris, Arum Lilies, Cashmere Woods, Musk, Vetiver Haiti.

thanks!

I'm bumping this up because I would love to hear responses as well. Michael is a fave of mine and one of the few commercial perfumes that throw and last for me.

Well, I've never smelled this particular scent, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt. From the description ("Creamy florals explode into exotic spices, tamed by Moroccan incense."), I'd say to try Morocco if you haven't. It tends to smell like a floral, tempered with spices and musks. And, while I can't wear it due to skin chemistry problems, it smells just wonderful on everyone else I know who wears it. ...also, I don't know whether Michael is supposed to be a gender specific scent, but Morocco works just as well on men as it does on women...

As for matching notes? That's a little more difficult, simply because BPAL doesn't have anything that really resembles the scent description. Here are some scents that share some similar notes:

Nephilim

Well, this one has the tamarind notes, along with the vetiver base. And, even better, it's got a very typical incense notes in it -- frankincense -- mixed with some wood notes. Sounds like a good approximation, although it'll be devoid of any of those sweet florals in Michael.

Grandmother of Ghosts

This one will answer most of the florals in Michael, but without the incense. On the other hand, there's a slight spice in there (the pepper), some wood notes, and a musk. Chances are it'll be more dusty smelling than Michael, but otherwise a good approximation.

Marquise De Merteuil

So, it doesn't have any reviews just yet... but the description mentions a bouquet of French florals (I'm willing to bet that one of them is the french version of lily, and it has a base of vetiver.

Anyhow, good luck. And be sure to let us know if any of the suggestions (mine or anyone else who cares to take a guess) work out. :P

Wow you really know your stuff! :D  That is great info...thanks for replying.

Er, actually, I'm just really familiar with the search engine, am currently in training for an OC personality disorder, and adore helping people pick out perfumes...

Plus, after doing some editing for the lab, I pretty much know most of the older perfumes by heart. :P

Tuberose really stands out in Michael, so my suggestions are around this note first.

Funeral Oils Nocturne An olfactory serenede. A somber, contemplative scent -- dreamy and subdued. Deepest violet touched with lilac and tuberose.

Love Potions Delight In ancient India it was believed that a specific combination of flower petals, when strewn across a couple's bed, would amplify desire and sexual pleasure. This blend is a blend of the same floral essences, refined into a gloriously sinful perfume blend. Frangipani, with rose, tuberose, and jasmine.

Love Potions Muse A light, invigorating floral and citrus blend. Tuberose, lotus and jasmine with a hint of lime.

I think this might be your best choice in the tuberose group. Unfortunately, it's too new for there to be any reviews.

Love Potions La Belle Au Bois Dormant The Sleeping Beauty. A gentle, lovely scent, slightly soporific, but beautiful in its quiet repose. Plumeria and white pear, Damascus rose, tuberose, magnolia and evening dew.

Osmanthus is a favorite of mine. Here are some excellent choices for Osmanthus.

Bewitching Brews Kali Kali, the Black One, is the fearless Goddess of Destruction, Creation, Energy [in her Shakti aspect] and Dissolution. Also named Kaliratri [black Night] and Kalikamata [black Earth-Mother], she is the fiercest aspect of Devi, the supreme mother goddess. Kali is a protector Goddess, the destroyer of evil spirits and guardian of the faithful. She, along with her consort Shiva, represent the unending cycle of death and birth, sexual union, creation and destruction. Kali annihilates ignorance, maintains the natural order of the world, and blesses those who strive for spiritual awareness and knowledge of true holiness with infinite tenderness and motherly love. The constant, unending Work of Creation is called the "The Play of Kali". This perfume is a blend of the sacred blooms of cassia, hibiscus, musk rose, Himalayan wild tulip, lotus and osmanthus swirled with offertory dark chocolate, red wine, tobacco, balsam and honey. The tobacco is notable in this one. Kali is a favorite of mine.

Bewitching Brews Ouija Lush parlor rooms draped in thick velvets and gilded in gold, unearthly whispering in the distance, fleeting flashes of wraithlike figures rushing just outside your vision, the chill of a phantom presence brushing by your cheek, the inscrutable knowledge that disembodied eyes are peering at you from darkened corners… this is the essence of Victorian-era spiritualism: rosewood, oak and teak notes with wispy blue lilac, tea rose, dried white rose and ethereal osmanthus.

Illyria Cordelia The essence of faith, love and devotion: lilac, lemon, green tea, wisteria, osmanthus, white cedar, and Chinese musk. You don't hear much about this one & I suspect it's one of those "hidden Bpal gems".

The best choice of this bunch is Queen Mab, IMO.

Bewitching Brews Queen Mab Warrior, Trickster and Goddess of Magic and Poets, she is one of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Queen of the Faeries. A very complex scent, both shadowy and fierce: black orchid, sandalwood, night-blooming jasmine, osmanthus, Somalian rose, and Chinese musk.

Have fun choosing!

I realized that while this question was answered as part of a question someone asked in their introduction, it was never answered over here in the actual thread itself. I too went searching for a Michael-like scent.

We went back and forth on this quite a bit, but in my opinion, the closest BPAL scent to Michael isn't a tuberose scent but a gardenia scent: Lady of Shalott.

They're not twins, but certainly kissing cousins. I went out and ordered a 5ml bottle because of the similiarity.

Sign in to follow this