Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Maxinux

Explorer-Themed Men's Scents for my boyfriend?

Hi everyone!

Been obsessed with BPAL for awhile but haven't revisited this site in some time.

My boyfriend and I are both naturalist/scientists; career-wise, he is actually something like Jane Goodall, and is constantly exploring the natural world (watching ants or birds takes precedence over most things).

I'm making something like a vintage-y explorer's kit for him for Christmas (old leather-and-canvas messenger bag, a beautiful pocket magnifying glass, maybe a handheld telescope, notebooks and pens, maybe even a copy of Borges's Book of Imaginary Beings), and was wondering if some dashing male-suited BPAL scent could fit into that theme. Any ideas? I was gravitating towards something in the Wanderlust series, but not sure what's male enough there; also thought Dee, but to be honest I don't like Dee much!! Turns a little sickly in my experience.

In terms of what he likes, I know he wears Cerruti Image, described thusly: "Top notes are plum, banana leaf, pear and pepper; middle notes are cypress, fig leaf, jasmine and guaiac wood; base notes are sandalwood, amber, patchouli, tahitian vetiver, musk and cedar." It's sweet, musky, and woody.

Thank you, BPAL-lovers!!!

EDIT: Going back through my favorites I think Jolly Roger may be appropriate, since we're doing mainly marine biology, spend a lot of time on boats, and it's one of my old favorites...it's not quite in tune with the explorer theme, though! =)

Edited by Maxinux

Here are some of my suggestions :biggrin:

The Book- Old, yellowed parchment paper, tattered leather bindings. There’s a distinct warmth to the scent, though it is ancient and brittle.

The Curator- Mysterious herbs and ancient resins. Dust settled on ancient relics, both holy and malevolent.

Miskatonic University- The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls.

Odin- His scent is dry elm bark, amaranth, warrior’s musk, and Odin’s Nine Herbs of Power.

Sounds like you are giving him a wonderful gift for Christmas.

Edited by Haltija

Ooh. Thank you. I've heard wonderful things about Miskatonic, and I think the description/theme on Odin would really resonate with him.

I know this is no longer available now but Captain Lilith is a seriously piratey scent. It's rum cakes and hot toddies with a little bit of salty coconut. Definitely a foody scent but it feels very masculine on me, and reminds me of a sea voyage.

I'd also suggest some of the "green" scents like the musky but verdant The Isle of Demons.

A lot of the Lovecraftian scents are also aquatics (for that wet, salty smell) and of course, there are all of those GC scents based off of locations.

Edited by Yojenitan

Jolly Roger lept right to mind, mostly because it's my go-to adventure scent. It smells so much like creaking wooden ships and salt spray to me, and is super evocative. If he likes more foody scents, Miskatonic University is an amazing and snuggly coffee house in a library sort of scent.

Of things that aren't already recommended, 51 (inspired by Area 51 of course) is a really unusual and I think very unisex green and sappy scent. Cairo is pretty unisex if your fella likes classic incense type perfumes and if he likes metallic scents El Dorado is very sharp and interesting and trends masculine. Glasgow, while foody on me, was also pretty unisex because of the heather, and if he doesn't tend to amp floral Ogygia is a really interesting and complex scent as well. (I personally amp the woody aspects of this, but it does have some noted floral hanging around.) I think Port Royal is another scent that could be perfect. It's very piratey, with the wood and rum, and it is very unisex as well.

Sign in to follow this