Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
aphrodite

Pumpkin Clove Candle

Warm pumpkin and Madagascar clove bud.

First? :eek: Okay, then. First.

I'm very sad to say that I don't love this candle. Last year's Black Clove and Pumpkin Tart candles were two of my favorites ever. As much as I love pumpkin food, I don't usually buy pumpkin type candles, because I don't want that sweet, foody, often inauthentic smell in my home. The anise seed crust was the perfect element to last year's candle, and I thought the clove would lend a similar darkness and complexity.

Unlit it smelled like soft, semi-sweet pumpkin with a distinct undertone of bubble gum flavored children's toothpaste. Strange. Still, I let it burn for two hours, completely melting the top across and all.

The throw is pleasantly strong; I had it in the bay window in my kitchen, with both side panel windows open, and I could smell it in wafts from my living room couch. (The two rooms are connected.)

It doesn't smell cloyingly sweet, or like those intense pumpkin candles from things like Yankee, and that bubblegum note doesn't take over. All in all, it's fairly nice. I wish there were a much more prominent clove note; I wouldn't say it's entirely absent, but I don't notice it particularly at any point.

I'm curious as to what this would smell like to someone walking blindly into my home. I almost don't know whether I would have picked out either pumpkin OR clove had I not known the name of it.

I'm a huge BPTP candle fan, so really, this is probably a lot nicer for some people than I found it. I just have such high expectations, and this sounded like a combo of two all time favorites. I don't think I'll go through the effort of trying to sell this on my sales page and ship it, but if there were a perfume oil I liked this amount, I would probably sell it. If any of my friends at home want to buy it in person, I'm sure I would part with it, if only to get money to try another BPTP candle, but I could also see myself eventually using the whole thing up if I end up with it long-term.

PUMPKIN CLOVE CANDLE

This is my first BPTP candle - I absolutely LOVE this scent!

It's warm but not sweet, a nice balance between the pumpkin note and the clove note (though the clove has a subtlety to it, like it is veiled).

The wax melted very evenly despite being in a drafty spot.

As far as size goes, I was expecting it to be either a little wider or taller.

It's about the circumference of a 12oz can of soda, and about a quarter shorter than said can.

What a great seasonal candle! i'm tempted to get a back-up before it leaves for the goblin dungeon in December!

Review: Exactly as it says on the label. It’s strongly clove and pumpkin. If you like the clove candle and the lab’s pumpkin scent, this is likely up your alley. If the pumpkin accord doesn’t work for you, this is likely not going to work either. The scents are about coequal early in the burn and work together. Lots of throw. As it burns it goes nearly all pumpkin, alas.

The pumpkin note in this candle is a spiced pumpkin note, and the clove is rather prominent. It smells wonderful, but alas, it does not have very much throw. I can only smell it when I am close to it, or if I have the window open while there is a breeze. That said, it seems to have lasted a long time, and I am glad that I bought it! I just wish it had more throw.