Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Discipline Oil is used to augment your self-control and willpower, bring clarity and restraint to a cluttered mind, and helps you to create order out of chaos.

I got this to try as an alternative to Determination - which I love, but I think I'm allergic to something in it.

The scent is mostly roses to me, and is fairly strong.

The effectiveness is fantastic! Today I was extremely tired, and unable to focus on doing much of anything - and my desk was incredibly cluttered and I was feeling really overwhelmed looking at it. I actually put it on the corners of my keyboard where I work, rather than myself, and after a few minutes I could tell it was working. My mind was able to focus, and I was able to just get things done in order, without getting flustered, and now my desk is in order again after weeks of being a disaster. I even *tried* to slack, just to see what would happen, and I couldn't do it - I kept spacing out and just wanted to get back to work!

It's a much softer 'get it done!!' than Determination is for me, but is just as effective. It doesn't make me *enjoy* my job, but it definitely helps me to get it done, get it done quickly, and stay calm while doing so, which is a HUGE change for me!

The scent is somewhere between lemon and fresh roses to me - I love it!

I have to admit, I think I've only tried Concentration once, and I haven't tried Determination yet, so I don't really have a good feel for how it compares to those two, but...

I use this on a regular basis - it's become one of my go-to blends for getting work done. Whenever I sit down to work on manuscripts, or fill out application,s, or whatnot, and want to make sure I don't get too distracted, I apply it to the base of my palms. It works. Even if I let myself get distracted, I don't STAY distracted. One caveat: put it on right before you start whatever you want to be focused on. If I put it on and do something else first, I end up hugely focused on that instead. I have found that, for me, reapplying it when I change tasks (sort of adjusting my focus) seems to work well, too.

One of my most common uses is laying it at the base of my palms with Hand of Hermes when I'm working on my ms. I like the scent of Hand of Hermes, but the Red Hot Cinnamonyness can sometimes be a bit much for me, and sting my eyes slightly, like an onion. It's not too bad, but it can be slightly distracting. Dicipline cuts through that cinnamon. It's still there - I can smell it along side the lemony rosiness, but it's not anywhere near as harsh, and gets me an awesome jumpstart to working on my ms.

The scent is somewhere between lemon and fresh roses to me - I love it!

I also get these notes from Discipline and use it pretty much every day. It has one of my favorite TAL scents whereas my other TALs have scents that range from pungent-smelling to interesting or somewhat appealing as a scent but probably not appealing to others. I will probably have to get a second bottle of Discipline because my first bottle will be gone before I know it.

The lemon in this is not Lemon Pledge-y to my nose and the oil does not smell like a cheap room scenter that you plug into a wall. It is a calming scent I sort of associate with the color of rosewood and ripe lemons. I consider it an elegant scent in a way. However, I would still use it even if it smelled like toilet deodorizer because it really does help me prepare to focus on a task I need to do. I anoint my hands and feet as well as a candle with this before getting to work on anything that is editing or writing related. On the other hand, I have to be careful to immediately start work on what I want to work on because I agree with M that if I apply this and work on something else, I will end up hugely focused on that instead of what I want to work on.

Overall verdict: It smells great and works well when I need a short-term boost in discipline and focus to complete a project I otherwise feel not very motivated to do. Definitely a keeper!

Edited to add: I have not used Discipline in rituals meant to break habits in the long-term, so I cannot comment on its effectiveness for that. I primarily use it for its ability to immediately or semi-immediately focus me and keep me focused on a task for a couple of hours.

Edited by Court Analyst/Strategist

Lemon and pink roses. This one doesn't feel oddly enough as robust to Determination to me. I think it brings more clarity and restraint. Very pleasant smelling. Admittedly, I've only used a dab, so I'd be curious to use more.

ETA: 2021
So I've used Discipline since 2016, and can say that it a very focused oil. It's clarity and focus, and smells uplifting. I've used it in multiple occasions when I am feeling scattered but work still needs to get done.

Edited by zankoku_zen